Does Ivy kill trees?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by deepmill, Apr 6, 2009.

1. deepmill

deepmill Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, second post tonight, as already mentioned we moved into an equestrian farm and now look after a 5 acre wood as well as the horses. - alot of the trees were 'evergreen' during winter but on closer inspection it was ivy - very thick and strong shoots and it looks like its sucking thelife out of many of the trees.
    my question is 'does Ivy damage the trees ? - if so what can I do ?
    thanks
    Peter
    p.s. anyone is welcome to collect free manure from out muck heap!
    www.deepmill.com

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    In short, no.

Contrary to what many believe, Ivy is not parasitic, and therefore takes nothing from the trees they climb. However they can block out sunlight from the trees leaves, and the sheer weight of the stuff puts a burden on the weaker branches.

If you really wanted to bring the Ivy under control, just cut it away in around the trunk of the tree, leaving about a 1 ft gap from the top of the still live Ivy to the bottom of the vine further up the tree, which will then die off having been severed from its roots.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Personally I think trees infested with ivy look awful, but I was informed recently that opinions are split as to whether its best left alone or not.
    Someone who works for one of these local conservation schemes told me that it supports a lot of wild life, but I think it can become far too dense and cause the tree all kinds of problems.

I'd do my best to get rid of it.

4. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi deepmill,

In short; it can do.

Some major bad points about ivy on trees:

• Takes important water and nutrients from the rhizosphere around the tree's roots
    • Adds weight to the branches
    • Hides defects and hazards
    • Houses pests & disease
    • Increases the sail effect in the crown, therefore making it prone to wind damage
    • Blocks light to leaves, therefore reducing photosynthesis
    • Blocks light to any new unformed buds, reducing new growth
    • Makes working within the tree more difficult
    They are to name but a few. Make from that what you will. I am more than available to discuss the pros and cons of ivy on trees further should anyone wish. :lollol:

Cheers,
    Matthew

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I am a lover of ivy and a bit of a treehugger, it isn;t quite the trifid it is sometimes portrayed to be but neglected it doesn't look its best.

Personally I wouldn't let it go up a tree in my garden. It would far too dodgy to be climbing up it to cut it back every few years.

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I wouldn't let it grow anywhere it looks awful.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Personally I think trees infested with ivy look awful, but I was informed recently that opinions are split as to whether its best left alone or not"

I think once it gets tot eh top, and changes to its flowering habit (rather than just leech-like climber) it can look pretty.

But I'm in the camp of chop-a-bit-out-of-the-Ivy-stem near the ground, and let the top die.

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It's a matter of opinion as to whether it looks awful or not and everyone is entitled to their own, otherwise it would be boring wouldn't it?

Old, gnarled neglected ivy does look pretty atrocious, but the wildlife do make their homes in it-robins come and nest in my garden every year, money spiders are all over it-and they make a good meal out of the aphids. I even found a frog amongst the base of some of mine once taking a rest out from the glare of the summer sun.

I personally love ivy, but I keep it within the borders of my own garden and I don't neglect it.

9. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Ivy is important for wildlife. Bugs seek refuge from the elements and predators behind the leaves, allowing them to thrive sufficiently to provide a stable food source for insectivorous birds etc. It is also aesthetically pleasing, especially in winter when everything else is asleep.

That said though, I think it is best to keep it under control otherwise it will run riot.

I think it all depends on what you want. On my little piece of land there are a few aged trees covered in Ivy. I leave that patch to its own devices because I am aiming for the wildlife haven approach. Other patches I keep under control. To promote biodiversity we need a wide range of conditions. Ivy clad ageing trees contributes to that goal.

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    And it's better than bindweed any day lol.

11. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Oh, don't mention Bindweed:( Bindweed is the earthly manifestation of Lord Satan :) )

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I dislike Ivy with a similar passion to treesurfer and for the same reasons!

13. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have four very old sycamores and and ash in the garden - huge trees - have I let ivy run riot on two of them and I like it. The birds nest in the ivy and I love watching them dart in and out. It can look quite pretty when in flower and gives some greenery all year round. The trees with the ivy on them don't fare any worse than those without.