Does Ivy regrow from old wood?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fletch, Mar 24, 2010.

1. fletch

fletch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I cut back an Ivy hedge today and made the classic mistake of not standing back every now and again to check my progress :flag:.

It looks a total mess and I've cut back quite hard into the old wood and it's really bare. Does it regrow?

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Yes it does, it may also throw out some new shoots from the base. It isn't anywhere near as vigorous as urban myth claims but it is resilient and will bounce back just fine. It may take about two years before it begins to get well covered again.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Oh don't worry Fletch. It will regrow OK. You can't kill Ivy even when you want to.
    It may take a year or two to look the way you want it depending on what you have done to it, but it will be there.
    Guaranteed.

4. fletch

fletch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh thank goodness for that! I've had another look at it today hoping that a new day might make it look a bit better.

It doesn't. :lollol:

Well at least it's given me room to plant a few new things now.

5. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll second that! :skp::flag:

6. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Might take a bit longer than a day but given some time it will look really good, I use to work with an old gardener who hammered the ivy pergola back to bare wood every year it looked awful, but to give him credit it looked really fresh and vibrant by mid summer (i still think he was too extreme though it looked rubbish for a while every year)

7. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi Alice YES i can confirm that . i removed an ivy climber a number of years ago ,it was climbing up the building of the house from the ground to the bottom of the bedroom window and working its way around the window to the roof!!!!. i completely cut it from the building, (NOT AN EASY TASK) and removed all the roots (SO I THOUGHT) .i had a pathway made of 3 x 2 slabs were the ivy had been originally planted (IT STARTED TO GROW THROUGH THE PATH :(. so as you say " you can't kill ivy" its like the day of the TRIFFIDS :(

( I MOVED) MUSIC :)