Does my cactus have a disease and can I save it?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by mightykrodd, Feb 12, 2024.

1. mightykrodd

mightykrodd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    IMG_3760.jpeg IMG_3759.jpeg

Hi, I’m a new member after a bit of advice. I was given this cactus about 15 years ago (it was tiny then) and have sadly mostly neglected it. It’s been repotted a couple of times though I now know it’s in far too big a pot! A few years ago it got a couple of brown and blackish patched which I pried off as advised by a friend. It’s seemed better since though has got the odd patch and grown very tall and thin. Today I noticed it’s got more patches and a weird grey section. Any ideas what I can do? Not entirely sure what it is. Possibly a saguaro cactus, though also thought possibly a torch cactus. Basically, I know nothing and hope someone can help.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,061
    I've seen worse.:smile:
    It actually looks ok, mostly.
    Firstly I dont think it needs repotting.
    If the discoloured area is still firm I'd guess that is more likely scarring from an insect attack. If you want to cut that damaged stem off you can, the stump will probably reshoot.

I wouldn't like to guess the species, but I will say its not a Saguaro, it looks to me to be a thin growing type of Cereus.

3. mightykrodd

Ratings:
    +0

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,566
    In a smaller pot it would be more likely to fall over. I tend to use a grittier compost mix then you appear to have.
    Overall doesn't look too bad to me.
    This is my entry in the battered cacti stakes. P1050379.JPG
    I have no idea what species this is. Most of the damage is due to sunburn, the reason for the shape is that a slug grazed off most of the top and then two years later this regrew. It flowers throughout the summer (white short lived). It has lived in an unheated greenhouse for the past 5 years due to it's tendency to mealy bugs

• Like Like x 1
    • mightykrodd

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you, I’ll try that. And yes, not quite the exotic, Mexican desert cactus I suggested . I think it might be a blue column cactus which I think is a cereus

• mightykrodd

Ratings:
      +0
      You can’t keep a good cactus down! Re. My poor neglected specimen, I have some cactus compost so will try adding some of that with some extra grit. Thank you for the advice!