Does using fresh seed really matter?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Vince, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Maybe it really does, as some of you know I like my onions and started sowing seed just after Christmas. My Kelsaes and Ailsa Craigs (fresh seed) have germinated well with almost a 100% success rate, my year older Mammoth seed on the otherhand has failed to germinate all bar one seedling.
    I'm not too bothered about that cos I only sowed the mammoths cos I had some seed left BUT I'm hoping to sow some older seed for varieties I DO want to grow.

Not just onions either :(

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Yes - seeds will lose viability with age. It also depends on how you store them. You need to keep them in a cool dry dark place - anything else will affect their germination rate. It also depends on the type of seed - I've kept tomato seed over 10 years old and grown it with no problems. Onion seed usually keep OK for me - maybe just give them a week or two longer Vince - in case they are slower to germinate.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    I think its pretty well known fact that some seed keeps longer than others, I also have grown very old tomato seed, but some seed only lasts a year or two at best.

I think its always best to use the freshest seed you can, but no harm in trying older stuff, just dont rely on it.

If your keeping seed from one year to another, dont keep it in the greenhouse, you need somewhere cool and dry.
    Some might say the fridge but I think that can get a bit damp.

4. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    As JWK states, seeds lose there viability with age.

This can be extended with good storage, but in most cases , you are better off buying fresh seeds i.e. Parsnip (Hollow Crown ) 50p for 500 seeds.

Some will store better than others, and trial and error is how most people find this out.

Surely it's best to work out how much you saved on your previous crops that you didn't need to buy from the supermarket, then think of the cost of getting poor crops from old seeds.

I put away a quid each week to pay for the following seasons crop seeds, and I always have some change for a pint or two!

5. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    All good advice above.

I've found lettuce and leek seeds to keep particularly well but like everyone says, you have to give them a chance by keeping them somewhere cool, dark and dry.

6. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Thanks all, probably my own fault as the old seed was for a while stored in a biscuit tin in the greenhouse :( . Seed is now being stored in a cool, dry, dis-used coal cellar :)