Dog pee

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by johnsonp97, Jun 22, 2009.

1. johnsonp97

johnsonp97 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My dog is peeing on our lawn and i think it is killing the grass. People have also said to me that this is probably the cause of my lawn going yellow and dying off. Does anybody know if this is a permanent problem or will it grown back eventually?

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    I havr that problem here too, we have a 200lb St. Bernard and our vet tells us that male urine is alot stronger then a females first off.

Iam chasing him all summer, and forever watering down the spot after he's peed there, and adding some grass seed to it, after i have watered and raked it free if dead grass, and the spots do grow back, its just somthing that you have to be diligent about.

I have read that as long as you give the lawn a good watering every day, it does help keep it green and the spots to a minimum.......good luck.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "My dog is peeing on our lawn and i think it is killing the grass"

Tends to make a "dead" yellow circle, surrounded shortly afterwards by a ring of lush dark grass. The grass will grow back, but presumably the dog will use a different patch, so it will be like acne just reappearing elsewhere on the lawn!

Chuck a bucket of water over the area if you catch the dog in the act, which will dilute it.

Grow turf in seed trays, and swap the damaged area for a fresh piece, if you have a lawn that you want to always look its best.

But basically you have to train the dog to use a different area.