Dog Poo Wormery

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by elliegreenwellie, Apr 18, 2008.

1. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone have one of these?

I have to say I am sceptical, surely it is a bit smelly! Does it produce compost or just plant food and if so what is it like?

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  3. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    I know they don't sound right do they? but they are for sale. I thought it may be an eco friendly way to get rid of the stuff and if I get free plant food out of it too then why not - unless my garden would smell of dog turds of course :D

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Sounds nasty Ellie not something I would be brave enough to try and I pride myself on being green.Hel.xxx.

• glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      just getting one set up and running at the mo. The compost isn't supposed to smell afterwards and is fine for use around the garden although advises against using on anything edible! ;)

• elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
      +1
      Would be interested to hear how it goes, though ?I think like Hel I might not be brave enough....

• terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      'Dog Poo Wormery'? Sounds like cruelty to worms to me. Canine faeces can carry some nasty bugs, better to get rid. Use the council dog loos.

• glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Ellie, I'll let you know how it goes!!

terrier, its for use in the garden, I can't take the waste from the garden to the council dog loo and other option is into bags and into the weelie bin. This just increases plastic bags going into landfill etc.

according to what i've read, as long as you only feed the worms with dog waste and the odd sheet of newspaper, they are happy. my thoughts are, in the wild something has to eat the stuff and I assume that would be worms!!!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      I'm with Glen. What we really need are dung beetles [​IMG] . I encountered this sign on my travels :D

[​IMG]

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      I`m with Terrier here, I wouldn`t use manure from a meat eating animal at all.

• Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Does this mean I have to either become vegetarian or start paying higher water charges? [​IMG]

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
    • Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      Considering that dog shi* contains a great many parisites eg toxacara, tapeworm etc the desighner of sutch a stupid and dangerouse contraption ought to be sectioned along with anyone foolhardy enough to use it.

As for disposing, lift a manhole and drop it in folowed by a slosh of water.

• polytunnel

polytunnel Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      If you think you have to be brave to move doggy poo try going within twenty foot of my next door neighbours cat deposits on my onion bed.I may invest in a giant water pistol and go on a cat safari.
      Yes i fully agree with Pro Gard, plenty of other waste to compost without resorting to that kind of risk.

• JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Interesting one!

I have used many human compost toilets and know my mum used to flush dog poo down the loo (or used compostable bags for disposal), but every compost literature I have read advises, as a few others have said, not to use the waste of any meat eating animal. I know this isn't the same as usual home composting, and seems to be solely for dog do, but I would want to know what exactly happens to the nasties contained within the dollops!

Definitely not to be used on edibles!