Dog Poop - Community Art?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dave W, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    In our village the amount of dog poop on the streets and on the rural tracks and paths has been a hot issue and discussed on the village Facebook site and at meetings of the community council.
    I was at a community council meeting this evening and there was a suggestion that a group take a walk around the village and spray all the offending piles with a hi-viz bio-degradable paint. It would certainly highlight the issue and could turn into a kind of community art project.
    In fact if all the "points of interest" were recorded on our community mapping project using "Openstreetmap" we could have a Join the Dots competition for the best picture!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 5
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      It seems to be a real problem these days everywhere. I wish the law would take it seriously. When I was a kid, dogs were kept as pets, and looked after responsibly. The consequence was that a bit lump of dog turd on the pavement was quite rare. Now dogs seem to be fashion accessories (or worse) kept by totally irresponsible people. You see them going up and down, walking Adidas (other child sweatshop manufactured tacky track suit brands are available) adverts, walking along with their Staffy that they're trying to claim is a Pitbull, and just walking on if the dog stops for a loo break.

Then there's the even more strange behaviour. People that actually take the trouble to bag up their pooch's poo, only to then tie it to a face height branch of a tree.

I wish we had a law that its ok to overpower someone and take a dump on their face if they were found to have left their dog's do on in the middle of the pavement.

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,386
        Same in this village clueless and then we get the other strange ones that let the dog poop on the floor near the poop bin,leave it there for all the kids to stand in on the way to school :gaah:
        Its dog owners who are up very early so im hoping with lighter mornings(them being seen possibly) it might cease a little :dunno:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Same here, they tie the bags of poo and festoon them all over the hedges in nature reserves:dunno:

ARE THEY MENTAL?????

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035

Speak to ANYONE who is involved in environmental management at any level, and you'll find it's a very common problem.

Yes, they are either mental or just don't care a poop so long as they can strut around around with their pooch/es. :sick0026:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        At the opposite end of the spectrum, one time when I was looking after one of my dad's dogs for a week, the dog was taking a dump on the beech, and I was already watching ready to do the unpleasant but necessary chore, when some woman appeared from nowhere and had a go and demanded that I clean it up immediately. She even handed me a disposable plastic glove and a bag. I said to her "would you mind awfully if I wait til the dog has actually pushed it out before I clean it up, I find it easier that way". The woman just huffed and continued on her way, ranting under her breath.

• Like Like x 2
        • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,915
          yeah! what is with poo bags in tree's? i don't know which is more disgusting...having to hop scotch though tones of dog poo on the ground or walking past tree's with the most unpleasant foulest flowers imaginable :runforhills: why do they go to the bother of cleaning it up at all if they're just going to fling it into a tree? i don't get it :scratch:

we have two dogs & would never dream of leaving a poo behind, even when we're well off the beaten track we still clean it up...and if there are no bins (never is) then we just carry it home with us. not exactly the highlight of the walk i admit! but at the same time there's no harm in people regularly seeing you walking home with poo bags a swinging by your side, at least they know (and hopefully will remember) your not one of the dirty beggers who just leave it :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,915
            :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :rofllol:
            i think that'd be an incentive alright :runforhills: :rofllol:

• Like Like x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              I get just as irate over people who leave "disposable" nappies here, there and everywhere! And I get flipping fuming when, they not only leave them laying around, but they can't be asked to do them up!!

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +32,985
              We get alot of dog poo, moo poo and yes human poo

• Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
              Ratings:
              +10,740
              The owners of the property where I work have a couple of dogs which are 'free range' around the gardens.

It can make hand weeding and tidying the beds a somewhat hazardous experience at times.

Nothing quite beats grabbing hold of what you think is a small pile of leaves or a bit of dead wood, only to realise, too late, that it's a....... well, you know.

Mind you, still doesn't beat hitting one with a strimmer. :eeew:

• Funny Funny x 3