Dog Urine

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brackenbeds, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been posted before but i did a search and couldn't find any mention of this.

Having moved into a new house and getting the gardening bug i have noticed some yellowing and balding on the lawn in places.

The previous owners had 2 poodle dogs that liked nothing better than to foul on the lawn.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it was in some hidden part of the garden but it is right outside the door and very noticeable.

What is the best way to deal with this, should i dig up the offending grass and replace or reseed later in the year? I have watered the patch well to get rid of the smell.

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If the yellowing isn't too serious then I'd leave it and see what happens now the source of the problem has gone. Keep the lawn reasonably well watered to dilute and wash away the urea and if there are still bad patches you can re-seed them in the autumn. Grass does have amazing powers of recovery.

Also, watch out for cranefly (daddylonglegs) emerging from the lawn. If you have had a bad infestation the grubs (leatherjackets) will have been nibbling away at the grass roots caused damage and yellowing. Starlings and other birds searching for them then cause more damage. Bio control with nematodes is the only effective cure. There are also bio controls for chafer grub and vine weevil that can also damage lawns as well as other plants.

Some basic info but there are plenty of other suppliers of bio controls. Nematodes are specific so if you have a problem you need to identify the culprit(s) and treat with the right product(s). At Home Magazine: Nemasys

3. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    My neigbour has had the same problem and has scratched, dressed and seeded the offending area. Only took a few weeks in these conditions for the lawn to be restored. The new seed is usually a slightly different colour but usually fades to match by the following season.

BM

5. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    their is something available to put in the dogs water to stop this happening.! check out the pet supermarket on line to see if they have any..

6. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Chris Beardshaw recons that a table spoon of Tomato Ketchup before bed reduces the effects of the morning wee of bitches probably the worst and most potent passing. Always water over the moring ones if you can.

BM

7. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The dogs are no longer a problem as it was the previous owner that had them.

Should i apply soil/sand to the bare areas and seed?

Someone mentioned that Canada Green grass seed is a good idea as it is fast growing.

8. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Should i apply soil/sand to the bare areas and seed?

I would :D

9. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  10. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  11. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It must be my sense of humor.

12. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi

Its the girl doggies that do the most damage. I have heard a spoonful of tomato ketchup on the food will neutralise the acid. I haven't tried it yet, but is better than some chemical stuff you can get.....

13. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont use it on my dog allthough i have seen the chemical stuff which waters the urine down..I am not bothered as he has to go to the loo somewhere..mine is a male dog and stoops like a bitch..he has never cocked his leg..i think hes too lazy..

14. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A bucket of water is just as good as anything.
    As long as the urine patch is diluted 10:1 or more it`ll be a good fertiliser.

If you can train your dog to pee near the comfrey patch you`ll only need to dilute it 50/50 [​IMG]

It`s about the only plant that can tolerate the massive over fert without dying.

15. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407