Don't know what to do with slugs getting in the house

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Hugo's mom, Jun 28, 2023.

1. Hugo's mom

Hugo's mom Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all

I am having an issue with slugs getting in my kitchen through the sink and through a small gap behind the washing machine.

I am getting the gap sealed soon and I do now put the plug in the sink at night but until I can get the entry points sealed off I'm trying to figure what to use to prevent them coming in.

I can't put slug pellets down because I have a Golden retriever who believes he's a trash can and even though I got pet safe ones he did try to eat them so it's not safe to put them down and he has to go through the kitchen to get out to the garden.

I tried beer traps which were ok but not as successful as I'd like I put up a camera to see what happens and some of the slugs just had a drink and then left so not all drowned and still had them in my kitchen.

I've tried strong smells like garlic , peppermint but again doesn't seem effective at all on these slugs. Copper I tried but again they just go over it.

Sharp sand and diatomaceous earth also didn't stop them.

I did have some success with white vinegar as I had less slugs coming in but still had a few that would ignore it.

As horrible as it is the only thing I've had success with was Epsom salts which seem to make them turn back around and the next morning I only had one slug who crossed it and died in my kitchen but the rest of the salt line was intact and no other slugs had gone over it but I only had it down one night as my neighbor told me that salt can attract other pests like ants , mice ect so I've not used it since.

I don't care if salt is cruel by the way it's the only thing that seems to work and my boys safety and health is more important since dogs can get lungworm from slugs.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows if I put Epsom salt down to prevent slugs if it will attract ants or mice?

I tried looking this up and the majority of articles say salt can kill ants or mice/rats but a few say that even a spec of salt will attract mice.

There is mice in our neighborhood because next door leaves cat food out as well as she grows fruits and vegetables so we get a lot of field mice however they have never been interested in my house they just sometimes hide in my garden when her cats are out. My boy ignores them thankfully.

I like mice I just don't want them in my house.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Try temporarily blocking all gaps with newspaper. Cut into small strips and wetted they can pushed around pipework from the outside quite easily. Look for any gaps around pipes, gas and water. It's very unlikely they can get in past the sink trap unless it is dry, assume you have the normal u bend or trap which will be full of water which slugs can't get past. How is the sink overflow plumbed? It must be before the trap otherwise that is an entry point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,980
      I think you really need to stop them entering, killing them once inside is not something you should have to be doing.
      Do you live in a fairly old house.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hugo's mom

Ratings:
        +2
        Thank you for your reply, let's just say the overflow is not before the trap hence why they use it as an entry point.

Thank you for your reply. Yes it's fairly old and really I need a new kitchen but it's rented and landlord (social housing) won't let me redo the kitchen it's a mess to be honest the lino flooring comes away from some of the cabinets and I wanted to redo it as I can afford to buy nope they said you'll have to just wait till we do new kitchens in your area.

I agree my best bet is to block off all entry points.

Can I ask if you block all entry points but they still come in that means you missed an entry point doesn't it because my neighbor gets them too and she said she's blocked all entry points but they still get in so I'm thinking that means she has blocked all entry points because if there is no entry then they can't get in?

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,980
        Social housing, have you told them that slugs are a problem in your kitchen?
        Maybe the health department of your council could help, it's sounds like you have very old plumbing and it's allowing this to happen.
        It's a definite health hazard.

Can you loosely plug the overflow outside with newspaper just enough to stop them getting in but not so tightly as to stop the overflow working if it needs to.

Do you have wooden floors down stairs, rotted floor boarding could allow them access as well.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +48,926
          I would be more worried about that than slugs. Fumes coming straight into your house from the sewer is a much bigger health hazard. I'd get that sorted first.

• Like Like x 1
          • Hugo's mom

Ratings:
            +2
            Yes I have but they weren't bothered so I did tell the council who told them that I need a new kitchen because not only is it old but slugs are dangerous to my health , they have agreed but I have to wait til I get to my area which they said will be in the next 12 months which the council were ok with as it will be sorted.

My floors are concrete not floor boards never lived in a house with no floor boards before.

Thankfully the council warned my landlord about this and that's getting sorted but not till next month.

• JWK

Ratings:
            +48,926
            Until your waste overflow is sorted the slugs have unimpeded access to your kitchen.

• Like Like x 1
            • Hugo's mom

Ratings:
              +2
              I know I'll be glad when it's done but they won't budge on doing it quicker but it's not long to wait it's being done on the 12th of July.

I have seen on other forums of people who had pictures of slugs in there sinks and they have the normal u bend type sink.

Why would the slugs go in there since they don't swim?

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +48,926
                I do sympathise with you @Hugo's mom it's not a nice situation to be in with the complication of getting others to sort it out.

I don't know how slugs could get into a sink through a water trap. My guess is they get in elsewhere and head for water. In my son's house he had issues with slugs getting into the lounge, we thought it was through an airbrick then somehow through the floorboards skirting board gap. He did try all sorts and had ants coming in as well. It was a step outside hadn't been sealed around properly.

• Like Like x 2
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +91,980
                  I was under the impression that your over flow was the old fashioned straight through the wall job and entirely separate from the waste pipe.
                  Modern ones tend to go into the waste pipe just before the trap.

Slugs will be looking for any damp places at this time of the year.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Hugo's mom

Ratings:
                    +2
                    I don't understand plumbing at all I was just told by the guy who came out from the council that my pluming for my sink is hazardous and he was the one who said my overflow should be before the trap and as mine wasn't it needs to be replaced which my landlord agreed with.

They also come through the pipe that's meant for the washing machine and as I don't have a proper washing machine as I don't use the pipe and so it's dry they also use that do you think if I put mesh wire over it , it will stop them using that as an entry?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +91,980
                      If you don't use the washing machine waste pipe I'd just jam something in it, rolled up newspapers or rag.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1