Don't throw rubbish - plant in it!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jw_universe, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jw_universe

jw_universe Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well, some things anyway. When I started gardening I bought plant trays and stuff, but I've realised some neat, free ways to get the same functionality but be more eco-friendly.

1) Dolmio pasta sauce tubs make great plant saucers for small pots.
    2) Cartons that contained fruit/ veg can be seed trays . Some have drainage holes, others don't but you can use both one way or another. I prefer paper bags but since I ended up with a carton recently the least I can do is use it.

Have you got any uses for other bits and bobs?

2. johnnywas

johnnywas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use plastic coca cola bottles ( the 1 litre type) and transparent water bottles to keep slugs off seedings. chop off the bottoms and tops of the bottle with a sharp knife.

put around the plant

if the plant is bigger cut the bottle down the middle and wrap the ends round the base of the plant

3. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    oh i have saved loads of loo roll tubes to plant seeds in - esp thost theat dont like being disturbed plus they are great for sweet peas

loopy