Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Jan 8, 2015.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Was thinking of buying the box set, anyone here watched it? marks out of 10 please.

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hiya Val.
    11, it's seriously good :dbgrtmb: My daughter bought us the complete series, and I must say it's seriously compulsive. If you buy any/all, don't forget the christmas specials, otherwise it gets a bit confusing.

• Like Like x 2
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +11,493
      finally the new season started over here in the USA last Sunday. Love the show. Nice to watch the fashion of the time, the decor of the rooms etc. Love it. The dresses and men suites were on display for many months at a locally and was able to go. wonderful

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Oh I love a bit of Downton :) - it's my "period drama" chill out time. I tend not to view it with a critical eye, more of a "lay back and roll with it" attitude. So, on that basis, if you enjoy a period drama then do get it (or, persuade someone to treat you to the box set ;) ).

I do agree with Freddy that you should make certain it includes the Christmas specials but, you won't lose the plot completely if you don't see those ones (clearly you are clever enough to fill any gaps not having those might create).

However, if you are into a "deep" plot style drama, or, you watch a period drama so you can spot any/all flaws ... best not to invest in it as you might be disappointed. It is light entertainment, in a period setting, with just enough twists and turns to make it worthy of a box set.

Go on: treat yourself - you *know* you want to ;) :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          PS: Dame Maggie Smith's performance is worth the investment. Her posture, facial expressions and then, her delivery of one liners are side splittingly funny!

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,517
            I just think the characters are so strong/interesting. I was initially put off by the 'period drama' tag, not my thing. Go for it Val, you'll love it :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1