Dracaena Marginata (Madagascar Dragon Tree) & Cheeseplant

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Fat Controller, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    I have one of these (well, it is two in a pot), that started out quite small and are now pretty massive; however, they have been a bit neglected really, not least because the pot they are in is currently in a corner behind a curved sofa.

Our new sofa is due to arrive in two weeks time, and as it is going to sit more flush to the wall, the plants are going to be evicted to the bottom end of the living room, where they will be more accessible and get more light.
    However, they aren't the best looking things in the world, so what can I do to perk them up a bit?

Also, I was wondering if it might be worth putting something else in the pot to sort of fill in the lower part? I have what I believe to be a devils ivy that is overdue a haircut, so I could use cuttings of that, but I am not convinced that it is worthwhile, and something like a few coleus or even a hosta or heuchera might be better (will they grow indoors though?)?

Finally, in a similar predicament is a cheese plant - bit oddly shaped thing, but vigorous enough - any recommendations to get the best from it?

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,125
    I dropped a few money plant branches into a pot containing a palm and theyve taken root easy.So much so its growing just a bit too well.
    You couldhold on till next spring and chop the head off the marginatas head and hope the stumpsends up new growths. I did that this summer with 3 big yuccas, all good.

• Like Like x 1