Drying Hops

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Adam I, Sep 18, 2024 at 3:42 AM.

1. Adam I

Adam I Gardener

Hijinks
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hello Gardeners Corner,

We have a hops bush growing as an ornamental and felt we should use it. Wasnt sure when to pick them so waited till they were smelly.

I tried drying them in an oven at 50c but they just kinda, wilted, became soft and gross, losing all their flavour. Had to go back for unharvested stuff to replace it :sad:

Just spent half the day brewing some beer, its our first all-grain beer and we are using 50% malted wheat 50% vienna malt with a wiesbier yeast. Came out as 1.056 sg so hopefully a nice 5% beer in a few weeks. Cant wait!
    We used the hops and the aroma is lovely but gosh are those flowers lightweight, ended up using 150g which was two big bowls worth. Still a kilo left over!

Half a Sainsburies bag worth.
    20240912_235557.jpg

Any idea on how to properly dry the rest so they keep their flavour and aroma? :ccheers:
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Buy an oast house. :biggrin:

I assume they are dried very slowly with just warm air wafting up through them,but not sure how you can do that in an oven.

• Like Like x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,571
        I think oast houses provided some heat from a kiln at the bottom, which was then drawn up through the hops on the floors above and out of the roof which was turned so the wind drew the warm air out, this was important as the moisture was drawn from the hops and out.
        I've seen lavender and herbs dried by hanging over the Aga (or similar) so they have good air circulation. So either hang your hops in the airing cupboard, if that's warm, or over the Aga, if you have one. Failing this I would put them on a wire rack in the oven at about 50°C and leave the door slightly open to allow the damp air to escape.

• Like Like x 2