Dutch Nurseries

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I went to Holland at the weekend ... should have taken a juggernaut with me!

Visiting some nurseries around Boskoop (45 minutes from Hook of Holland port) was an experience, the plots are laid out as small holdings with a house by the road, and then a strip, the width of the house and drive, behind the house for perhaps 2.5 hectares. Beautiful "fenland" soil of course ...

I found a Google Maps collection of Exotic Nurseries
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?i...d=202951319301403897693.000478c211e3116e491a0
    you'll notice that there are a few more in Holland than other countries! Several of these aren't what I would class as Exotic, but they stock unusual plants at the least, and obscure plants at best.

Of these the most impressive, as an amateur gardening "buyer", was Esveld which is geared as a conventional nursery with a large selection of container grown plants, but also a huge number of stock plants and field-grown plants being grown on - probably to containerise at the time of sale. Worth contacting them, by email, a week or so before you go so that they can source anything that they don't have in stock.

15' tall [unusual] trees in very good health for 50 quid - this rather nice [somewhat smaller] Acer pseudoplatanus 'Leat's cottage' was less than £40

IMG_0126_AcerPseudoplatanus_LeatsCottage.jpg

IMG_0127_AcerPseudoplatanus_LeatsCottage.jpg

and large specimens at, relatively, very affordable prices - a 4' tall & diameter Box ball for £170

IMG_0131_BoxBall.jpg

I was also impressed with Rein en Mark Bulk's nursery (only 100 yards down the road).

I could not have told you the Genus even for 90% of their plants ! Lots of familiar (once I read the label!) plants growing as Fastigate, Weeping, Rediculously-small-leaf version, and some mega-leaf versions too ... most of their plants are field-grown, so only available in late Autumn. Here's a couple:

IMG_0074_DavidiaInvolucrata_LadySunshine.jpg
    Davidia involucrata "Lady Sunshine"

IMG_0077_SassafrasAlbidum.jpg
    Sassafras albidum

I picked up a leaflet of other nurseries in the "group" which have joined forces to sell plants to individuals, in addition to the "trade" as they have done in the past, so may not be well publicised, but should be able to make a sale to you :) They are within a mile or so of each other and may have outlets elsewhere. Not all of them are nurseries :) . I didn't have a chance to visit any of them on this trip. You may need a browser, like Chrome, that automatically translates the pages

http://www.esveld.nl/engels.php
    http://bulk-boskoop.nl/en/

http://hgeers.nl/Welkom/3447
    http://www.floraboskoop.nl/roos.asp?cid=6767
    http://www.proeftuinvanholland.nl/
    http://www.sortimentstuin.nl/index.php/en/
    http://www.grassenerf.nl/
    http://www.boomkwekerijmuseum.nl/
    http://www.vvvboskoop.nl/
    http://www.jandenhertog.nl/home
    http://www.deplantenmarkt.nl/

If you can figure out how to get plants from me-to-you I'd be happy to bring back things for you as part of a bulk-order - assuming I get around to driving over to collect one in the Autumn.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I had heard of Hosta Mouse Ears, with dinky little leaves, here's a variation :)

IMG_0084_Hosta_SnowMouse.jpg

Hosta Snow Mouse

IMG_0084b_Hosta_SnowMouse.jpg

Some Hydrangeas:
      IMG_0133_HydrangeaArborescens_SheepCloud.jpg

Hydrangea arborescens "Sheep Cloud"

IMG_0121_HydrangeaArborescens_Bounty.jpg

Hydrangea arborescens "Bounty"

IMG_0123_AcerPseudoplatanus_PrinceCamilleDeRohan.jpg

Acer pseudoplatanus Prince Camille de Rohan - £55 :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        and a couple of Acers :)

IMG_0097_AcerPalmatumDissectum_Garnet.jpg

Acer "Garnet"

IMG_0095_Acer_ShirasawanumAureum.jpg

Acer Shirasawanum Aureum (with other Acers in the background)

And a panorama from the back of their nursery of surrounding plots:

IMG_0089-92_NurseryView.jpg

• Like Like x 4
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,892
          Some great plants there Kristen. :) It looks like they have the perfect position for irrigation, but only to be expected in Holland I suppose.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          I should have taken more photos, a bit hard to describe, but every plot is long and thin, and there is a canal down the side of every one ... I have no idea why, the canal is a dead end, but no denying how handy that must be for irrigation.

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +48,991
            Very interesting, I've been meaning to visit the nurseries over there at some point. What did you bring back Kristen?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            • Like Like x 1
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,091
              It's all about drainage. Without mans intervention the water table would be higher. If I remember correctly the monks of the middle ages were major apple growers and planted many more trees than needed to help drain the land. I could be wrong though............

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              Ah, good point. Just seemed excessive to have a decently-wide canal between every property that I forgot that the whole lot is below sea level!

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +55,162
              • Like Like x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +122,466
                That hydrangea "Sheep Cloud" looks like the one we know as "Annabelle".

Very easy to grow and gets pruned to the ground each year. As the flowers grow on new stems the stems are a bit on the soft side so need help supporting the large flowers. They start off the pale green, as in your picture, and become whiter and whiter as they mature.

It's called "Annabelle" because it was discovered as a natural occurring new cultivar growing in the wild near Anna, Ohio.

P1130361.JPG

• Like Like x 1
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,668
                  I did wonder in what way it might be different ... I haven't found much in the way of recommendations for Hydrangeas, or comparison between them, on the Web. "Sheep Cloud" seems to only exist at a few nurseries on the continent, and the description is "Looks like a cloud of sheep" ... which I would also apply to your picture of Annabelle.

In addition to H. Annabelle I'm also growing H. Incrediball which supposedly has stronger stems, so will self-support its enormous flowers. I'll tell you in a couple of years time, when the bush is life-size, if that's actually true

RHS says that flowers of Annabelle "can be 15cm (6in) across, if not bigger", Incrediball can get up to 30cm across, apparently

I guess that H. Sheep Cloud, and probably a bunch of others, are just variations on a theme ...

In the case of "Incrediball" I guess the Summer Intern was told to think up names for the new varieties that year and that is as good as it got!!

Then there is Hydrangea Invincibelle (same summer intern named that one I suppose?!!). I don't find the shade of pink particularly attractive. Maybe, again, they need to reach life-size before I pass final judgement.

Anways, I expect I've been suckered by the marketting hype ... all the sites selling them say they are wonderful, but now I search the Forums I see many saying "bull", and the one I haven't got, Hydrangea Bounty, is probably the one I should have bought.

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +122,466
                  Well, Annabelle is definitely worth growing. Ours easily produces heads up to 30cms across and we've had some larger than that.

To stop it from falling over too much we just run some string around it but you would probably make a much better support. I don't know how ARMANDII supports his.

This had just one piece of string tied loosely around so you can see that it has fallen outwards a bit. We could have run another piece of string just around some of the inner stems and it would have then filled in the centre.

P1130360.JPG

Once yours is well established it's very easy to propagate it from 'Irishman's Cuttings'. :blue thumb:

• moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +9,817
                  Excuse me for being ignorant Shiney but what are Irishman's cuttings?

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +122,466
                  Moyra, with some plants you can easily get these. Usually in the spring when you get the new growth/shoots forming at the base of the plant you can ease them away from the plant with a piece of root still attached. This is known as an Irishman's cutting.

Look around the base of the plant for the new shoot that is growing (much better if it's already in leaf with a few leaves on it - with most plants it should be over 6" high by then) and carefully scrape away the soil around it. Then ease or cut (depends on the type of plant) the new stem with the roots attached. Pot up and give it some TLC.