Dwarf apple tree care - help please!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JenG, Mar 20, 2016.

1. JenG

JenG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We've had a dwarf apple tree in a pot for several years now and it's been more than a little neglected. It has tried to produce fruit each year with varying success (last year failed due to under watering). I'm looking for some advice on how to look after it better. We're considering moving it from the pot into the ground, is that a good idea and when/how is best to do it? And what regular feeding/pruning/other care should we be doing?
    Thanks!

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi @JenG It will be fine in the ground, it is probably on a dwarf root stock, that will control its size, I would plant it now while only just coming out of dormancy. Pruning would be better advised by some one else. I just tend to take out crossing and rubbing together branches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • JenG

JenG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks Pam! Is there anything you would recommend in terms of feed or similar to apply when putting it into the ground? My mother in law had suggested digging some bonemeal into the area?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,968
      Bonemeal is what I used to use, but recently the best advice I've had from the RHS is to use Mycorrhizal Fungi which is giving me good results. You buy it in a powder form with the product name "Rootgrow". Use one or the other but not together.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1