Dwarf Apple Tree problem

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Stooey89, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Stooey89

Stooey89 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    IMG_5435.jpeg Hello,

new to the forum, having found out GW forum is closed! Found it really helpful to ask a question there and get some advice, so I thought I would migrate over here :)

I have a dwarf apple tree (cooking apple variety) in the back garden. It’s been doing well and last year we had a decent amount of apples. This year I’ve noticed some branches looking a bit poorly. I had a similar issue with my dwarf cherry tree in the front garden, where it developed cankers and I had to cut the branches.

I do think this is what’s wrong with the apple tree now too, but wanted to get advice first. I will try and upload some photos of the sites on the branches I am worried about. I have done some pruning already so also concerned about shocking the tree.

I also have never used wash or insecticide but last year a neighbour offered spray our tree with his wash. Seemed to keep the tree healthy - should I buy some and do this? Never used a product like this before so I am a total newbie at this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Based in the NE of Scotland.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,328
      Hello, welcome to GC :) Definitely take those branches off. Preferably with a sharp, disinfected saw, almost flush with the trunk. You could leave stumps if the interior of the wood is unstained and then select one of the strongest shoots that form on each stump, but only if the wood is healthy. The tree could also do with shaping and the centre 'de-cluttering'. Best to do that in summer to avoid stimulating lots of water shoots, but decide now while it's leafless and you can see clearly what you're doing. Tie string or ribbon on the branches to cut out later :)
      Spraying is a personal choice. It used to be done routinely in winter to kill off overwintering pest eggs but not sure of current products' fungicidal properties :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Stooey89

Ratings:
        +1
        Hi Noisette,

thank you for the warm welcome and advice, really appreciate it :)

I had thought this to be the case, I will get this done in the next day or two. Would I be best to cut the entire branch? as all three cankers stem from one branch from the trunk.

I had to prune branches that have grown towards the path but I will identify some more that are growing in wards too and cut them back later.

many thanks again :)

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +15,328
        Hi Stooey, the classic advice is to cut back to 'clean' wood...i.e. no interior brown stain, but if you can cut the whole branch to within 10mm, roughly 1/2" of the trunk, go for it :) Good luck!

• Stooey89

Ratings:
        +1
        Hiya,
        Ok great - thanks for advice! :)

• Stooey89

Ratings:
        +1
        Hi noisette,
        Thanks for your earlier advice.
        I first cut the branches 3” before infection sites and I could see a brown spot on the inner most rings. So I then cut the entire branch flush with the trunk and I couldn’t see any brown spots then.

I was wondering if it is worthwhile applying any capping wax to prevent further infection?

Just trying to give the tree a good chance. Should I consider any additional feed too?

Thanks in advance.

• BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
        Ratings:
        +260