Dying back on Cherry Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by David G, Aug 5, 2006.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi

My Cherry Tree is dying back on one side the leaves are going brown and falling off and the branches are drying up and becoming brittle the tree is quite large 15 to 20' high. Is there anything I can do to save it? I have a photo but do not know how to attach it to this message??

Thanks

David Guy :( :confused:

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    It would be helpful to see a picture of this tree. There is a section on how to post a picture, but to save time,

Resize your picture to 4- 600 pixels and save it under a different name so you don't lose the original.

Log on to Photobucket - a free picture hosting site, and upload your picture. Then copy the IMG address (the last of three boxes under the image) to your pc clipboard.

Reply to this message, and then paste the IMG address in your post.

That should do it.

3. barbaraanne

barbaraanne Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I was wondering how to put pictures on as well so this is good. I will have a go.

On the subject of cherry trees when is the right time to have them cut back a bit - flowering cherries that is?

B

4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Now is the best time to prune them. They won't be so susceptible to fungal infections and the wounds have time to heal before the cold weather arrives. Never prune them in spring, and don't cut too close to the collar as you can cause rot to get into the heartwood