Dying box hedge

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Tony Johnson, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted about 12 box hedges last September. They seemed to be doing ok, but in the last couple of months, 2 of the plants have just turned yellow and withered. Any ideas what might have caused this?

Attached Files:

2. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I would dig them up and have a look at the roots. Box will strike quite easily so you could take some cuttings. I grow privet myself another easy but quicker growing hedge.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    It may be box blight Tony but I'm sorry, I know very little about this plant or the disease, perhaps @Lolimac can help you with this as I know she has box.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    I don't think it's box blight as that will very quickly infect the whole lot also they don't completely die off it just makes them look very scruffy. They do need lots of watering to get established, going by the healthy state of the others I don't think that's the problem. I think it's a problem with the roots as hans said.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I also think it has to be something to do with the roots or something in that particular planting hole,but what:scratch:...

I had the very same problem ,it was just one plant and it went exactly the same.I replaced it in early spring but now this one is going the same way by the looks of it.The plants at either side aren't affected so it's a bit of a mystery :dunno:...I was thinking of trying to remove as much soil as I can in that spot and replacing it but it will be difficult not disturb it's neighbours roots...

• Informative Informative x 1