earthing up potatoes in bags??

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by oldwinegum, Mar 8, 2007.

1. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have twenty bags with early and extra early potatoes in them and they are growing in the greenhouse like express trains. I have been earthing up every day for a week now but I have been totaly covering them not as you would in the open were you would leave the greenery showing. Am I correct or should I allow the greenery its head and earth up under it?
    I could do with a quick answer before I earth up todays groth.

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I would allow some top growth OWG, the leaves convert the sun's energy into food so that the tubers can grow, if the leaves cannot get to the surface at all the whole thing could die. So treat exactly as outdoor spuds and earth up when top growth is about 5 - 6 inches high.

3. LittleD

LittleD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what type of soil/compost do you use to fill the bags with?
    Thanks

4. oldwinegum

oldwinegum Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi LittleD,
    I use old cow muck with soil mixed (sandy soil 6.8ph) and old seed compost with so far, Growmore but will add a liquid fertilizer when the tubers start to grow.
    Blackthorn,
    Thanks, you only need to stop and think about the question and you reolise the logic of what you answered. All plants reporting Green by lunch time 9.3.2007

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4