Earthing Up Spuds .. How Often?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Winnie, May 2, 2009.

1. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Planted out my chitted Bintje spuds on 6 April. Been earthing up maybe about 4 times now. How often should I earth up? They're growing rapidly. Earth up one day, following day they're through again!! Got some in a bin and the majority are in the ground.

Many thanks chums!

Winnie

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Winnie. I'm certainly no expert, but I'd probably only earth them up if a frost is forecast (given the fact that you've earthed them up already). I'd say the ones in the bin aren't at any risk from frost, just let 'em go. Cheers...freddy.

3. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Freddy!!! Quick response as always!!!!

Winnie

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi Winnie:) To be honest,I only earthed up when they were planted and again only to cover exposed spuds. This method gave me about six 'Baking' sized ones as opposed to many smaller ones that Mrs Pal refused to peel:hehe:

5. Caz

Caz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was so confused over exactly the same thing, and I earther up gradually as they were growing - this is my first time growing spuds though so I am unsure what they will turn out like - am growing Pentland Javelin

6. Canucks72

Canucks72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also growing Pentland Javelin and also Charlotte in 2 big dustbins. I'm just earthing up bit by bit as the plants get tall, they're rocketing up at the moment in this nice weather.
    Don't forget, earthing up is not just a frost protection measure, the stems of potato plants are "hairy" like tomato plants. Earthing up covers those hairs, which then grow into roots, which then grow into tubers. Earthing up therefore increases your crop.
    Earth up as much as you can, the green leaves will push through that soil or compost regardless, but do leave a bunch of leaves at the top for food manufacture!

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I would let them grow a bit between earthing up's.

First thing is the leaves must be covered if there is going to be a frost. If the plants haven't grown too tall / been earthed up too often already - then just earth up to cover the leaves, that will keep the frost off. Your First Earlies are going to be more of a problem than the Mains

Otherwise cover with fleece - even some newspaper (weighted down by tucking into the soil) should keep a light frost off

In the absence of frosts I would earth first when the spuds first poke through - this will force them to grow longer "necks", an that's where they will produce the new spuds from.

Then I would leave them until they grow a bit taller - 9" or so, then the second earth up, and then a couple of weeks after that the Third earth-up. I would give them some blood, fish and bone or similar in those last two earth-ups.

After than you just need to make sure that any newly forming spuds that poke through the earth are covered up (otherwise they will go green and be useless) but the foliage will be like a forest by then, so not that easy to do).

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "in 2 big dustbins"

I would earth up in containers, using compost, as they grow to force the shoots to elongate, but you need to try to keep the leaves above the compost as that is what makes the "energy" for the plant.

Once you have filled up to the top of the container (well, leave a 1" gap so that you can water) then leave them to get on with it. Just add water! (and some fertiliser)

9. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great information for earthing up Kristen!! This will help me ton's!!:D

10. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is just what i needed for mine. My tubs in the greenhouse are already up to the top with compost, im going to have to just let them grow now. The garden ones im going to earth up a bit on one set and earth up a lot more on the others to see if it makes much difference to the yield.The greenhouse tubs have shot up atleast five times the amount of the ones planted in the garden at the same time.

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    " im going to have to just let them grow now"

That's what they are supposed to do! so you should be in good shape.

Get them out of the greenhouse if it gets too hot. If they aren't too heavy outside during then day, then back in at night, for a couple of weeks until the a) get acclimatised and b) the nights are warmer :thumb:

12. Canucks72

Canucks72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My, just coming back to this thread and noticed it's only been 2 weeks since my potato plants were starting to sprout a handful of leaves, and now I've already got 2 bins overflowing with masses and masses of enormous foliage, I hope this bodes well for the crop. I'm going to try and earth them up one more time at the weekend. Amazing how fast these things grow isn't it? It's my first time on potatoes and I never expected something out of little shop of horrors. :o

13. steve75

steve75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 20 Plants on the go, Maris peer from the pound shop. Planted 18 in a raised bed outside and 2 in containers in the green house. been earthing up the ones in the green house little at at time over the last few weeks. The ones outside I parted the soil to form mounds between the rows where the plants were going, then as they started to grow i pulled the soil back to level it. Now i have earthed up a couple of times since. They all seem to be doing well i have also raked in a good helping of growmore. This is my first attempt at potatoes i am vary happy with the results so far.

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Great thread guys, I came on here with a question and its already answered.

Mine are all over the place now, I couldnt fit more soil in the bins if I tried so I suppose thats it for earthing up my charlotte potatoes.

The desiree have a way to go-they are in a proper bed, although, to be honest, they aren't that far behind.

Cheers guys.