Earthing up Spuds

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Greecko, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    Just wondering but some of my spud plants are over 2ft high, is it too late to earth them up and by how much? Do i remove lower stems?

I also have some in grow bags at the same height and growing like mad, can I also earth them up big time or what is too much at once?

Finally should I be spraying for blight as a preventative now or is it just a regular thing? Ive never grown spuds before so all a learning curve!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    leave the stems and just get what you can around the base. About 4 inches of earth at a time :)

Not had a blight alert from blightwatch yet, I only spray when I get one :)

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    Seen the blightwatch forum, hopefully people over here use it just ha! What type of spray or brand do you use as I havent got a clue to be honest! Cheers fo the earthing up tip, can it only be soil or what else can you use? Ive seen grass cutting mentioned but that seems odd as theyd be very warm and surely be a hive for slugs etc?

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
  6. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    I know someone very well who runs a farm agricultural store that could probably get me the stuff comercial places grow?

7. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    My Spuds are starting to grow flower heads, does this mean they are maturing or what? They would only be in thr ground a maximum of 7 weeks, some of which are 2 weeks behind others and following suit, to be honest though they had a head start in terms of chitting and weather conditions

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    It depends what variety they are Greekco, if they are earlies then they are usually ready a week or so after they flower. 2nd early and maincrop flower around now too, but won't be ready for a while. 7 weeks from planting is too soon for any variety.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      They are maris pipers, the unknowns still have some catching up to do so theyll not flower anytime soon. a google search says 20 weeks for pipers from planting to harvest?

• JWK

Ratings:
      +48,995
      Sounds about right Greecko, patience is needed :blue thumb:

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
      +86
      I severely lack that, I'll give e a few weeks before I start poking around looking for spuds ha!

• Like Like x 1