Easiest Edibles for Growing Indoors

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by eljigga, Jun 29, 2013.

1. eljigga

eljigga Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a complete newbie to all things gardening so would appreciate some advice from those more experienced with indoor growing. I live in a big city in Asia, so there's no such thing here as a garden where you can grow outdoors as everything is high rise.

I'm wondering what the easiest veggies and/or fruits are for growing indoors? I currently have 2 tomato plants growing in my grow room (should say struggling to grow) but would like to add a few more different things into the mix.

At this stage, I'd say for me the easier the better as I'm afraid I may lose interest if my first few tries are fails.

Summer here is 30+ degrees every day and winter is similar to those in the UK. I don't mind buying some LEDs or some other form of lighting system if required.

Also, if anyone has links to some noob guides to indoor growing that would be great too.

Thanks.

LJ

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Salads would be easiest. Most won't be thrilled with 30C though. Mizuma / Pak Choi type salads would be better than, say, Lettuce.

Carrots will grow well in containers. Make sure the compost is very sandy (mixing 50:50 horticultural sand and multi purpose compost is fine; I use compost left over from other crops last year)

Potatoes will grow in large bags / containers, but you get low yield - so its a lot of plant for the return. I only grow Potatoes in containers to get a few really early, before my outdoor ones are ready.

Squash would do well in higher temperatures. Most are huge plants though. Courgettes are probably the smallest plants, and would grow in a container (on a balcony, for example). Heavy yield too.

I wouldn't grow Veg under LEDs they don't have enough light-power to penetrate the canopy of the plants, better suited to uniform height seedlings etc. that can have the lights positions almost-touching the leaves. Metal Halide would be better for canopy penetration, but they are about 600 Watts for one square meter, or maybe two, so its a lot of electricity. You can move the lights to cover half the plants during the day, and half at night, if you fancy it (there are rails available that make that job easy). You might get away with 8 hours light per crop, so that would give you three "shifts" per day.

3. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Sprouting seeds: many take less than a week until they are ready to eat in stir fries, sandwiches, salads etc. :dbgrtmb:

4. eljigga

eljigga Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the stupid question but what are sprouting seeds? Do you mean like bean sprouts?

5. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
  6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hello and welcome:)

Do you have much space near sunny windows, or a balcony or anything? It would help if we knew how much room you have and how much light that space gets.

Apart from those already mentioned, how about peppers and chillis, and various herbs.

Think what is expensive to buy and what is cheap. If you have very limited space, it would be daft to waste it on crops that are cheap to buy. Better use the space for more expensive food items. I have no idea of prices in Asia, but here in the UK, herbs are more expensive than they should be (given how easy they are to grow), and anything that needs to be imported or raised in a greenhouse tends to be pricey too.