east facing border

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by starflower, Aug 13, 2007.

1. starflower

starflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have an east facing border and was wandering what kind of plants would do well here. It is currently empty, has a loevly flint wall behind it and is about 15ft long. Any suggestions would be greaty appreacited. I like cottage type gardens as a general rule.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Starflower.

I don't think you have any special problems with an east facing border. I will not be full sun all day, but that does not matter. More important - with a wall behind it, does it get dry. Sometimes a wall leaves a shadow that doesn't get so much rain.

I would be planting perennials - with the emphasis on long flowering wherever possible. In my garden I have (I am using Latin names - so you can google them):-

Centranthus ruber (Its a must have - very long flowering and tolerates dry soil - red, white or purple - red is my favorite. Flowers almost April to September - cut it back in July and it will flower again).

Aquilegia (flowers for 4 or 5 weeks in May - not that long - but I find there is a shortage that early).

Dicentra spectabilis (flowers for 6 to 10 weeks April to June - doesn't like it too dry).

Hesperis matronalis (another early flowerer about 6 weeks in May and June - lovely fragrance - short lived but will self-seed).

Astrantia major (starts in May for up to 16 or more weeks in total - cut it back Julyish and it will start again).

Myosotis (forget me not - early and cheerful - will seed everywhere)

Cirsium rivulare (you may or may not like it - flowers in May for up to 28 weeks - I get fed up with it sometimes - but not much else flowers for so long - sterile).

Geranium (hardy type - not Pelagonium. Patricia and Rozanne are brilliant - they are both sterile hybrids so they flower for simply ages - over 20 weeks).

Verbena bonariensis (a must have - starts July for about 18 weeks).

Helenium (recommend Moorheim Beauty - starts July for 16 weeks - needs support).

There are loads more - Echinacea, perennial Lobelia, Penstomen, Campanula, Crocosmia, Eupatorium, Lythrum, Lupin, Linaria, Phlox, Leucanthemum, Astilbe etc.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Starflower, I agree with peter, go for the cottage garden affect, plenty of herbaceous perennials, lupins, foxgloves, bleeding heart, cranesbill, hollyhocks, all things that die back in winter. You just have to get rid of( that is compost ) the old foliage, and the border is neat and tidy through the winter. David.

4. starflower

starflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    that all sounds wonderfull, thanks for the tips