East facing front garden but what to plant?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by millerfamily, Mar 27, 2011.

1. millerfamily

millerfamily Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

I have a couple of spaces in my front gatden about 20' x 20' which I would like some planting advice on. The soil is not particulalry acid (Camelias dont seem to grow well in it), but otherwise good garden soil.

1. I have one space about 3' x 3' and 2' from the bay window of my house beside my neigbours front garden. On his side of the fence and forward of the space is a buddleia and nothing else. The space has low growing varigated everegreen shrub on the northern side of it and to the east of it and a Thuja 'Rheingold' about 3' in diameter and 10' high (kept clipped to these dimensions) beside it and a I would like to plant somehing with year round interest which I can see from inside my house.

2. The other 3' x 3' space in to the front of the garden away from the house and has a 3' high wall between it and the public footpath of the strret where I live. the space is bordered by a Rose 'Remember Me' about 4' high and a variageted Wegilia about 7' high and 3' to 4' wide.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Best wishes

Richard