East facing site needs filling

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by LooseLotty, Mar 18, 2007.

1. LooseLotty

LooseLotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    please could you give me some ideas for an east facing,, sheltered partial shade site. What I would like is a climber that won't take render off the porch and will give year round interest. Not asking much am I ?! [​IMG]

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi L/lotty Your not far from me Is it the Loose Valley your in.(Sun in the Morning)Shade in, the afternoon.Might give me a better option. [​IMG] something evergreen maybe with a trellis or with out.I will be back. [​IMG] I am sure some of our friends will have some answers for you.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hydrangea petiolaris would work well there, I should think - I have it on North facing walls, and it likes that. It isn't quite all-year though - maybe you could grow a clematis armandii up through it - not 100% certain on how it would deal with East-facing - will look it up! It's evergreen, btw.

hydrangea petiolaris

clematis armandii

The clematis tolerates partial shade - so should be ok too. It's rather nice as it's scented.

Let's see what the others come up with!

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I've got a Potato Vine in that sort of position. It doesn't climb as such, you have to support it. It's got flower buds on it already and it's evergreen, it seems quite happy there, good luck

5. LooseLotty

LooseLotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am so happy to be a member of this forum. Thankyou so much for taking the time to recommend these plants .I really like the idea of a climbing hydranger. What a lovely flower! If I can ever add anything to help anyone here I will, but I think my knowledge will have to grow a bit first! [​IMG]