Eckman Backpack Power Unit.

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Cyburbloke, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Cyburbloke

Cyburbloke Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Purchased the Eckman 42.7cc Petrol Backpack Power Unit (£69.95), along with the hedge-cutter(£59.95), extension pole(£19.95) and brush cutter/strimmer(£29.95) attachments (total cost £179.80) off the internet. There are other attachments available.
    There are two web-sites advertising the product, one works for me the other didn't, I will not point you to either one as they are the same prices.
    The reason I went for a backpack rather than a normal outfit is because I suffer acute back pain and this seemed like the obvious answer, only time will tell on this.
    The reason I went for this particular backpack is, it is not going to be a hard worker, so no reason to spend a small fortune just for occasional use, and it looked like a fairly robust piece of machinery.
    Anyhow invoice reads 27/06/2012, 5 working days, quoted delivery time.
    So delivery time will be the next instalment.

Arrived 09/07/2012, courier yodel, packaged well.
    The first thing you notice is the standard of the equipment and attention to detail, my thoughts were how do they do it at this price?
    Checking everything was there, then putting it together, amazed, things locked into place solidly and easily.
    Would it start?
    Mixed the petrol/oil(BP super/stihl 2 stroke) @ 30 to 1, half filled the tank, 6 priming pumps, 3 pulls with the switch at off, turned switch on with full choke, started on the first pull.
    Impressed so far.
    The hedge trimmer was the first piece of the kit to be used, does a very nice job, the incremental adjustments are very generous so you can get the right angle quickly with little drama, 5 small/low hedges, then 1 tall long hedge tidied up, 12 minutes running time, enough for the first outing, left at idle for a minute then switched off, as per the instructions.
    Checked everywhere there was likely to be friction, and although not cool to the touch, there were no apparent hot spots.
    The hedge trimmer has two grease nipples at the articulated part, but the only reference to lube is for oil, used a synthetic grease to fully pack the mechanism, as oil would just dribble out (as did the grease).

Day 2
    Strimmer attachment used, made mincemeat of weeds, small woody stems and bramble stalks, recommend face protection.Ran out of petrol. mix down to 50 to 1 (bit smokey @ 30 to 1, but bedding in) not smokey.

Blade attachment was the trickiest to fit and use, which I put down to my lack of familiarity rather than the tool.

In conclusion-
    Would I recommend this tool to a friend, an unreserved yes.
    Would I invest double the money for this tool, also an unreserved yes.

As a bye the bye, the slight vibration you experience, seems to have helped my back situation.

I have no association with any manufacturers, distributors or vendors of this product, just have some time on my hands.