Eden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Sheal, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +54,136
    I've just come back from the south west and a visit to the Eden Project. I wasn't sure whether to give you my comments on it or not, as I didn't want to spoil it for anyone. But here goes......

First off, with advice from fellow gardeners on GC I booked my tickets before leaving home on the internet and printed them off. They were £18 per adult. At the gate they were £20. The queues were huge so that paid off!

Even out of school holiday time the project was packed, we visited on a Wednesday, thinking mid-week would make a difference. Many people had said it's fantastic and take a day to get round it. To be honest, I was disappointed. One biome contained the 'rain forest' plants, the other 'mediterranean plant's. Most of the plants in this second biome you can see growing in gardens all round the country.

Another building called the core, we expected to give us the idea behind the 'set up' and what the project aims to achieve, it, in my opinion, was seriously lacking in information.

Outside, although some lovely plants to see, once again, we couldn't see what the lay-out and plant choice was aiming at.

Yes, the project boasts zero waste and everything for sale can be re-cycled, apart from this my husband and I just couldn't fathom what the point of it all was. :scratch:

We left after two and a half hours, feeling it's just another tourist trap and although it's a charity was just out to make money. To be honest I'd rather have made a visit to Kew Gardens, where I haven't been for many years and would like to go again. At least I understand what they are doing there and what they are achieving.

Sorry everyone, I know this is only my opinion, but having spoken to a number of people living in the south west while we were there, they were of a similar mind.

Anyway pics to follow, I'll have to put them on more than one posting.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +54,136
      More Eden project pics.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +54,136
        Still more Eden Project.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,597
          Its a shame it wasn't up to standard. It's always been much quieter when I've been, and maybe that made for a much nicer experience.

The information is there, but they have to strike a balance between keeping it brief so as to not overwhelm, while at the same time providing the info that some of us would like.

If you do a web search, they have their own online TV channel where they tell you the story behind it. Its worth having a look at because then a lot of it will make more sense.

Did you go to Heligan while you were in the area? That one is impressive too, and much less busy than Eden.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +49,451
          You've got a good point Sheal, it's a victim of it's own success, my expectations were much higher when I went there too and was a little disappointed. I like the thought it's proving plenty of employment in that area, but the entry fee, shop and restaurant were too expensive for us to go again.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +54,136
          Clueless, with a a so-called project I think there should have been more information on site. As I said we left not having understood what they are trying to achieve if anything. We bought the guide and have read a good part of that, but once again it was lacking.

We read the story behind it, but that was mostly about who set it up without explaining what they expect to achieve with it in the future. Personally, I can't see it moving on and how, what is there, has any meaning for the future. I expected it to show us how it would help to restore our planet by what they are doing. Maybe, I've got the wrong end of the stick, which as I said earlier, I just don't understand what it's supposed to be about or for.

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,730
          I agree, Sheal. I toured the site while the 'biomes' :rolleyespink: were still being constructed and to be honest I think I saw the best of the place on that occasion. Just like the Millennium Dome in its original incarnation, the architecture of the place is quite interesting but the content is a bit 'so what?' As I understand it, the idea is that you go home deeply moved by the world's plant ecology and shout: 'I have changed. I have seen the true significance of a rather scraggy, half-dead coffee plant. Never again shall I take a jar of freeze-dried instant for granted'. I find this - dare I say it? - a little bit patronising. Add to this the entry price, the hordes of screaming kids and the general awfulness of being trapped in a place which often mimics the London rush hour at its worst and it feels a little like someone, somewhere is taking the pee. To be fair to Tim Smit, I don't think he ever envisaged the place being as oversubscribed as it has become. Maybe he should have twigged that something which looks a bit like Centreparks might be rather popular with families who are trapped on rainy West Country holidays, however.

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +54,136
            Thanks Clare..........my thoughts exactly, but I didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers who is about to go there. I believe Armandii is visiting there soon. We'll have to wait and see what report he brings us. :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +93,132
            Well I have never been but always thought it might be worth a look should I be passing.:loll:

I did get the impression it was a very busy place, which kind of puts me off for starters.
            Big queues to get in also knocks it on the head as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not that far from Kew and it would have to be really special to beat that.

I never actually thought it had a purpose, just a place of interest for people that want to see plants unusual to the UK was what I thought it was all about.

Paying through the nose for everything is a way of life these days in rip off Britain

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            The West Country in the rain idea constantly nags me.

I look at the Game farm next to me and just go:DOH:

Acres of land just to raise a few hundred Pheasants for some upper class doughnuts to murder.

If I had that land it would be an all round come rain or shine attraction, involving Chickens.

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +49,451
              And sheep shurely!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I'd like to have sheep too, but they are a bit boysterous when they get tame, they will knock adults over, let alone todlers, same as goats.

Now Capybaras would be a different kettle of fish.

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
              Ratings:
              +2,250
              If you get some capybaras I'm coming to visit you!!

• Like Like x 1
              • Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
                +245
                Have to agree, its not worth £20 a person especially compared to various other gardens in the South West. The last couple of times I have been it was £16 but we have a buy one get one free, so didnt seem quite so bad. Also agree it only takes a morning to see round, the outside spaces are poorly planted, and lacking any sense of purpose. Do I really want to pay a lot of money and see a few neatly grown veggies - I can go on the local allotments and see that for free.

Heligan is worth a trip but is also a bit of a tourist trap as well. It really should drop the "Lost" bit from its name, how many lost gardens have coach parks, it wasnt even lost when the current team took it on, it was simply overgrown.

There are some fantastic gardens in that part of the world, Eden, sadly, is just a bit of a rip off.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                Ratings:
                +7,371
                Hells bells If YOU found it expensive what chance have I got :-(
                You have spent more on your garden renovation Than I have earned in twenty years :cry3:

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1