edible gardening beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by carleton, Apr 25, 2007.

1. carleton

carleton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    iwas in tenerife and i got what i was told were haricourt beans. we were using them as markers on a game i was playing.i have looked at my vegetable books and i cant find any mention of them. i put them in my greenhouse and they have geremented and are about 5 inches high i want to transfer them to my allotment. any replays with information and also how to cook them .
    not quite sure if i am spelling haricourt correctly.
    cheers

2. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they'd be haricot beans - usually called french beans while they're growing or as green beans, and haricot when you dry them. They should grow fine in the allotment, I grew them on mine, but can't remember when I sowed them - they may not like frost in which case it's probably a bit early to put them out I would think. I seem to remember I manured the bed they were going into, the same as i would for runner beans. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly though!

As regards cooking - when they're green you usually just need to trim the ends off, they can be chopped up a bit if you like, and just boil them for a short time. I eat them raw too when they're green, but if you want to dry them they need boiling then simmering for serious amounts of time or they can be indigestible or even toxic. When cooked correctly they're nice though, specially when added to the traditional (french?) haricot bean dish whose name escapes me for the moment...

3. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Claire and Carleton
    I must admit I think I'd like toi possitively identify the plant before attempting to eat! You never know.... .
    John [​IMG]

4. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0