Editing, purists and the future of Photography.

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Steve R, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    It's a shame really, as good as Digital cameras are, they still do not see or capture dynamically (as in they do not see or record as the Human eye does), which means our photo's rarely if ever capture a photo as we saw it. It is now a given fact that photo editing must occur (not to all, but to the majority of 'togs) for us to make up this gap between what we saw and what the camera captured.

Before digital photography, film photographers used various techniques or tricks to improve photo's and it was not uncommon then to splice in a good sky to a photo with a poor one. Many of these film techniques where demanded by digital photographers as the digital revolution came along, I guess they wanted to carry on as before. One such technique was Unsharp masking in film days, which first blurred a photo before actually sharpening it, we still have that method today in digital useage...and it's still called "Unsharp Mask" (but actually sharpens!)

I used to be dead set against editing of photo's, why rely of software to remove a piece of litter from a photo when I could walk to the piece of litter and remove it from the scene before actually taking the photo? Why try to remove the person (using software) walking across the scene in a bright yellow jacket when I could simply wait for them to pass? I have been called a "purist" many times over for this way of thinking.

I'm far from being a purist, I wont remove or add things to my photo's but I will lightly edit them to bring out the photo that I saw that day, I do this to make up for the shortfall in digital cameras to what the eyes saw. I embraced and helped develop/beta test HDR software as I believe HDR (High Dynamic Range, [as the eyes see it] ) photography is the future, in fact I believe and look forward too HDR cameras and there are a couple of models on the market already for this.

By the way, I will still walk to remove the piece of litter, or wait for the person in bright yellow jacket to pass by before taking the shot, I wont edit to improve, just edit to give me the photo that I saw and I have my own self imposed rule of "2 editd only" per photo.

But what are your thoughts on editing? How far will you go with it? Are you a purist? Or are you all for the general advance of photography and look forward to the day our cameras can actually see what we do, and then capture it?

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
    • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,616
      i dont know how too edit so that make me a "what i took is what you get" kinda girl and having seen terry get so frustrated in trying to recreate what he saw rather then what the camera took i think i will just stick at point click Print if i like it

• Like Like x 2
      • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,337
        Before OCT 2012 when I commenced a brilliant photography course
        What came out of the Box Brownie was what Boots the chemist gave me back :-)
        OMG there were some 80% horrors

So I bought more and more expensive camera's and the results were the same only in more detailed horror

Now during a photography course, I have left behind the "Snapper" and become a reasonably good "Amateur Tog"

I have not progressed to "developing" yet, so it is important to use the camera manually and try to get what it is you are trying to capture
        My main editing is to capture to the right, to brighten things up in the original

Thanks to the photography course (Though the instructor now has grey hair, aged about ten years, and on completion of the course is booking into a Kendal rest home for therapy) :-)

Jack McH

• Like Like x 5
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,926
          Having being inspired by the same Master as Jack since last Oct I have started to go through all my old photos and organise, tag and rate them. I'm using Adobe Lightroom and that has some simple photo 'develop' tools, I've started to get quite dab hand at fixing red-eye, cropping and adjusting angles, something I would never have bothered with before. Some times I've played with the white balance and brightened up a few but I've never really done anything heavy handed.

• Like Like x 4
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,881
            My photography ideal is pretty much as SteveR's, so I presume I come into the purist slot. Apart from as he says moving that piece of litter etc. I don't make any adjustments to my pictures and accept them as they are. I like the idea of HDR though.

Up until now I haven't considered photography as a hobby, my pictures have been more through necessity than pleasure. I must admit though that the camera has found it's way out with me more and more often recently. On the demise of my pocket camera eighteen months ago, my dear husband bought me a Canon 1100D at my sons suggestion, as this camera was a reasonable step up from the previous one. My son, I hasten to add is a wonderful amateur photographer.

I am still at the semi-auto stage and my son is urging me to progress from there, laziness and lacking understanding of how a camera functions is holding me back. I think on the most part I have an eye for a good scene but I think that is probably best left to you more experienced photographers to decide. :)

• Like Like x 2
            • kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
              +387
              Photography, unlike the human eye, looks at the world in frozen split seconds. The human eye is constantly readjusting focus and EXPOSURE to take a scene in. Therefore the camera ( in the hands of a competent photographer) captures the scene at the best compromise of focus and exposure. Processes in the darkroom (or digitally) should be aimed towards overcoming these constraints and anything beyond that is manipulation.

A typical example would be a landscape with a very striking sky. The human eye will quite easily see both the details in the landscape set against a dramatic sky. However the camera - in many lighting situations -will only see the details in the landscape OR the dramatic sky but -NOT BOTH TOGETHER. Proper photographic practice was always to enhance the element that was understated in the original exposure by chemical or digital techniques.
              Image manipulation is adding elements which never existed in the photograph in the first place. Unfortunately, the digital darkroom (ie Photoshop etc) makes cheating 'extremely' easy.

I can rememember when photographic cheating was a highly skilled ability.
              Be highly sceptical about nearly every image you see in the media these days.

• Like Like x 3
              • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
                Ratings:
                +3,035
                If the purpose is to produce an "image" that is pleasing to the audience, then does it really matter if the "artist" used the tools provided by his/her camera or those in his/her darkroom or, the equivalent these days by his/her computer?
                Back in the dark ages, about 40+ years ago when I got my first SLR and later a TLR and did my own developing and printing there were very few final prints I produced that hadn't been subjected to some form of dodging, burning or masking during printing or some form of exposure correction.
                The "digital darkroom" makes image production and manipulation easier, more versatile, faster, less costly and wet and smelly, and accessible to a wider population.
                I'm not so po faced about my photography that I won't edit out power lines in an image if it results in something I'd like to hang on the wall, though I would of course have prefered to take the from an viewpoint avoiding them, but it isn't always possible.

Despite what I've said regarding image processing it still isn't possible to make a decent silk purse from a sow's ear and the initial composition of any image remains the first and foremost element in producing a good final image.

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                  Ratings:
                  +3,702
                  Absolutely not, what does matter is that everyone gets out of it what they want to, however they achieve it or to what level of editing they apply, is really up to themselves.

For myself I just want my photo's to be a memory of what I saw, not what it can/could be. Occasionally I will exceed these self imposed bounds to pratice and learn, but I seldom save them, even less so display them.

But I am always wanting to push the boundaries.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 3
                  • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +91,629
                    Good morning what an cracking thread,something happening here because I agree with all of the posts:heehee:
                    Once said to me when my tutor saw me slightly editiding black and white images when we were developing and printing wedding photos in the 60's and a clip round my ears:heehee:
                    :old:Learn composition

• Like Like x 3
                    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +29,471
                      I have no problem with other photos being 'processed' it's just something I don't do (I don't know how really) Slight cropping (on camera) is all I have ever done.

• Like Like x 1
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,838
                        To be honest, Strongy, I'm surprised that you haven't processed any of your shots, because they are always of such a high standard:snork: ........I guess you're a better camera wielder than me:dunno: :snork:
                        We could get all technical or "artistic" in this discussion by advocating this or that process of using software or even the purist who won't use it at all on matters of principle. If I read Steve's well put post correctly he asked how far would you go before halting when editing/processing a shot. There is a point, I think we would all agree, where certain processing/editing of a pic changes the original shot beyond what you saw and the camera saw, in other words into a different shot altogether.
                        To be frank, when people talk about the difference in what the camera see's and what the photographer see's, and having to change it because of that factor, I don't find that to be a strong reason or a sole argument for editing a shot. Personally, there's nearly always a few hours between my taking of the pic and perhaps deciding to process it to some extent, i.e: brightening, contrast, sharpening. So trusting my memory as to what I really saw at the time of taking the photo and actually remembering it accurately is something I wouldn't do. Can anyone say truly that, on processing a shot, that they've really got it to where the circumstances/character of the pic is as it was originally? So, having never taken the "perfect" shot I use the minimal processing to get a reasonably presentable result.
                        When we come the point where pics are changed by taking out items in the original shot or inserting a different sky that's where the level of processing changes the original shot to another image entirely and so does the motive of the person doing the processing/editing. I did see one shot on a Forum where there were two shots of an Eagle nesting on a Power Cable pole. One pic was as it originally was and the second was where a large yellow plastic insulator had been edited out. The second pic was, to me, devalued as it wasn't a true picture of the setting and in fact was misleading. I, like Steve, would remove some item manually from a shot I was taking before I pressed the button, but it would have to be really jarring and prominent for me to do that.
                        I used to do a lot of black and white/colour developing and loved it. But I never considered that I was processing, altering or editing the picture, I was just trying to get a reasonable image. Maybe, subconsciously, I was trying to get the same image as the world had presented it at the time of taking, but there was never going to be a realistic chance of that:wallbanging: . There were, and are, too many factors between [a] the taking of the shot, as you see it, as the camera see's it, [c] how you remember it and, [d] how good the software is and how good you are at using it and interpreting [a], , and [c].
                        HDR is a useful and sometimes under rated tool and I love the effects of it. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that it gives an image as to how the eye see's it. It's, yet again, another processing method and combines different exposures of the same image to give a great "depth" and contrast. But because of that it's an image that the camera has processed and it's questionable as to whether it's a "true" image or, to me, a more "realistic image" when used correctly. Having said that it's a great tool and I enjoy using it. I certainly don't think it should be dismissed, discarded, or scoffed at as some do, because in the right hands it can give, as we have seen with Steve's images, superb images. So I think the scoffers are missing out on using a great tool.
                        But, like many things, how we use a camera, enjoy it and the pics it takes, want to dabble or dive into the world of processing is a very individual and personal choice and what makes it such a great interest/hobby to us all, and long may it remain so.

[Just a note, the system suddenly decided to make the post partially in bold text and it won't go back for some some reason:scratch: :snork:]

• Like Like x 2
                        • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
                          Ratings:
                          +3,035
                          This is possibly slightly off thread, though not entirely, but does anyone else feel that photos posted on here do not display as sharp as the originals?
                          I've found that photos I've posted in the competitions are not quite as sharp as I'd like and that I could get around this by applying a sharpening filter but it isn't allowed.

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +100,838
                            I must admit, Dave, I've not been aware of a problem. I use Photobucket to store the jpegs for convenience and transfer them from there to GC. If you look at some of the images from other people they seem pretty sharp to me. Are you transferring straight from your computer??:scratch: :snork:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                            Ratings:
                            +7,337
                            I have not noticed it with All the pix submitted, therefore as some five of the sixteen are crystal clear and sharp as a razor, I just accepted that the other less sharp pics were just exactly that (Less sharp)

Jack McH

• Agree Agree x 1
                            • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                              Ratings:
                              +91,629
                              I have noticed it as well but wondered If I needed some new glasses :heehee: