Eeeeek!

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Victoria, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    I just went into the bathroom to be confronted with a bird's head and lots of feathers strewn around the place ... no body obviously.

It is NOT Magic Sam who prefers to be hand fed with cheese!

One of the two little uns suddenly (this is a first) prefers fresh bird to the smorgersbord littering the kitchen, which includes roast chicken.

Someone may DIE soon ... this WILL NOT CONTINUE OR BE PERMITTED IN THIS HOUSEHOLD.

They WILL learn!

2. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Agh!! how awful for you and am glad they didn't present us with such when we looked after them!

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    that cannot be a pleasant sight...

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL - one of the delightful things that comes with cats, is their bringing of gifts from the outdoors - I remember it well. :eek:

5. anthea

anthea Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I too have the same problem . Two lovely cats who think they are doing me a huge favour by bringing in dead animals.We can never decide which one (Henry or Beth) is the guilty party. This has made us stop putting up bird feeders as we kept getting baby sparrows and blue tits in the kitchen through the cat flap. :rolleyes:

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    I agree with you anthea. I have had to stop encouraging birds into the garden now ... sad! :(

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    oh how awful for you LoL, shudder to think and the look on your face must of been class :D :D

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    You took them on LoL, you have to take on their habits too. I'm sure you can cope with the odd dismembered bird. ;)

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Evening, strongy. I took them on at one day old ... they had no "habits", they became house cats immediately.

I've had cats for nearly 40 years and have not had this problem before ... must be Portuguese cats in my particular case! [​IMG]

I don't mind the mice, shrews, baby rabbits and geckos and there's been the odd screech owl, but all survive and are put back in the orchards, as are most birds (some baby ones have died from fright or a puncture wound).

Guess I'll have to learn to cope with this if it happens again but I hope it was a one-off! [​IMG]

10. JEN.K

JEN.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cat are funny things aren't they. I have two which were house cats for the first 3 years of their lives(due to train tracks behind my house).

I have move now to a house with a large garden and all sorts of building that they can climb over including a first floor extention that acts as a kind of collar all the way around the house. Which means that even though they are not allowed upstairs they follow me around the house by looking through the windows of which ever room I am in.

Unfortunatly they also like to bring me gifts but they tend to be alive and undamaged most of the time. This has meant that I now don't leave my window open at night after being woken up by a cat jumping on my bed and leaving me a frog...argh. to say I wasn't impressed is an understatement.

They are beginning to catch onto the fact that I don't like it as the older one has now take to bringing me its cuddly toys but as I shut the window now I keep having to climb out onto the roof to collect them. I'm sure my neighbour must think i'm mad. [​IMG]

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    I love you story, JEN.K! :D No doubt a vision of lovliness on the tiles in the moonlight? [​IMG]

Now, rather than a cat on a hot tin roof, would that be person on a moonlit tiled roof?

12. JEN.K

JEN.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You've got that right lol.

I think most things that happen around my house is slightly mad. So maybe my neighbours have accepted people wandering on the roof instead of animals as part and parcel of my household.

I have a bit of a zoo now as I my house used to be owned by a pet shop owner so had all sorts of enclosures for animals. Which I couldn't stand to take down or go to waste.

I currently have: Chipmunks,Degus,Cats,Chickens(1 cockeral that was supposed to be a hen. Whoops!) and a hedgehog. Once the pond have been fixed I expect I will end up with fish as well.

Also I have a feeling that there is about to be a population explosion in chipmunk enclosure as one is getting very "fat".

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Would love to see pics of your menagerie, JEN.K, especially the chipmunks ... lovely little critters!

14. JEN.K

JEN.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try to get some photos for you.

The chipmunks are great I've got one that is just about hand tame he comes and sits on my shoulder whenever i'm in the cage. It's making sure he stays put when i am leaving that's the problem. The others come for food but then run away once they have it. V. cute.

15. JEN.K

JEN.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sorry it's been a while but if I've got this right I will have posted a couple of pictures of my chipmunks. Since my last post I now have 8 of them as there have been 5 babies [​IMG] . the white one is new she is about 30 days old and a third of the size of the adult ones.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]