Eek!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by honeytone, Jun 28, 2008.

1. honeytone

honeytone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have mice nesting in my compost bin! Mother mouse and three youngsters, who look like they are almost ready to strike out on their own.

Now, the question is will they all go their own way after the youngsters leave the nest, or are they settled there for a long while? If the former, I'm quite happy to leave them be. But if they're settled for life I'll be investing in some humane traps to catch them set them free else where.

2. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Mother is probably already pregnant with her next brood I'm afraid....... humane traps sound like the best thing.

3. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    There are ultrasound mice deterrents that unlike similar devices for moles work very well, at least in my experience. I have used them both at work and in two different homes, both in the country, and never had mice problem (except when the kitties bring home a mouse for playing). We installed them when we had ALREADY mice in the house, and they packed out in a matter of a couple of days.

4. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I concur with Ivory...either that, or get a Jack Russel.:D

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Honeytone, Leave them be, They'll go there own way.. Its nice and warm in the middle of the compost for the babies, I get them every year, and No im not overrun with mice :)

6. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree. Having mice in the house is really no fun and I like to keep them out with the device mentioned above, but I don´t think they make such damage in the garden, except perhaps eating some bulbs now and then. I let them alone (not so the cats, but hey, such is life)

7. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    In a perfect world there'd be no humans, but as this is not a perfect world we just have to learn to live with nature. If you don't want mice in your compost bin, just bang it with a stick a few times as you go past, the mice will move on. Live and let live :)