Elder tree question

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Fat Controller, May 13, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,883
    I have an Elder tree in my back garden, and half of it is completely dead. The main trunk is spilt into two parts, and there are a couple of other thinner trunks or thick branches leading up at the back - it is one half of the main trunk that is dead. I had my suspicions about this tree last year (some of you may even remember me asking about it);

Now, I am not sure what to do with it. If I leave it as it is, I suppose I am running the risk of the dead half breaking when there is a wind or something, which could cause damage or injury (although fairly unlikely given its location) - however, if I leave it, I was wondering if I could use it as a climbing frame for my climbing nasturtiums which might also help them hide the conifer right next to it (that I don't like!)

The other question of course, is this dead half telling me something about the state of the tree as a whole? Should I be looking at whipping it out altogether?

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'd cut the dead half half away. Elderberry wood is very soft as it is, and rots very quickly. That doesn't stop it from being extremely heavy when still moist though. If its dead, it will come down one way or another.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +51,883
      Thanks clueless1 - is it likely that the rest of the tree will follow, or is it just part of its natural life cycle?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I don't know really, but I expect the rest of it will be fine. I've never known an Elderberry tree to just die. They're pretty indestructible. Some trees benefit from a good hair cut. I have loads of Blackthorn and Hawthorn on my land, and I've noticed that they produce a lot of dead wood if they're left to it, but a good hair cut and they green up really well. Maybe Elderberry trees are the same.

• Like Like x 1
      • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
        Ratings:
        +10,740
        Large pieces dying off are quite normal for an Elder. It doesn't necessarily follow that the rest of the tree will die.
        I'd agree with Clueless, just cut the dead branch off and see how it goes.
        If you're worried about it falling over or breaking, you can cut off as much as you like (even down to ground level), it will still regenerate from the base.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,883
          Thanks guys :)

The 'alive' side is up against the fence, so I don't think that will fall over - it will be a bit of an odd looking specimen once I hack the dead bit off, but the nasturtiums will hopefully climb up it and make it look better - if not, I might think about an ivy or something (clematis/honeysuckle?) to train up it

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,090
          I'd steer clear of the ivy, you might regret that one! Clems or honeysuckle (not L. Halliana!!) should be OK.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,883
          I got the saw out this afternoon and whipped the dead half of the tree off.

Madahhlia - I take it that is a variety of honeysuckle? Is it not suitable for climbing or something?