Elderberry Cordial/Rob

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by rosebay, Mar 9, 2015.

1. rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Here is an excellent recipe for this. Really worth making! Apart from being very fruity and full of antioxidants it is also invaluable for coughs and colds (promotes perspiration), especially bronchitis. It relieves constipation (being aperient in action) and demulcent (soothing/relieving inflammations)

You will need about 10 oz. of fresh, ripe berries (about half a colanderful on their stalks - destalking takes about half an hour, done with a fork). Place in a pan, crush them down a bit (I use a potato masher) and simmer down (no water) with about 2 oz. sugar/to taste (I find honey doesn't work well). Continue to simmer until the juice evaporates to the consistency of runny honey. Store in a closed container, e.g. funneled into a small bottle and keep in fridge.

To use: place some in base of a tumbler and top up with either cold water (nice with sparkling chilled water in summer), perhaps some lemon juice to taste or with hot water (e.g. for colds).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +1,308
      Thanks for this Rosebay, I will definitely be trying it if I can beat the wood pigeons to the berries!

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,435
        Hi Rosebay, I made elderflower cordial last year it was delicious! My neighbour has a pink elderberry in her garden, so made some with that it looks really funky, I also made 'white' elderberry cordial.
        Just as an idea, I froze some of the pink cordial & made sorbet, well worth the effort if you have the time, you literally pour it in a Tupperware box with a lid & stir it every hour or so (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) it's really yummy! :)

• Like Like x 1
        • kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +950
          I enjoy Elderflower cider :yes:

• Like Like x 1