electric propagatoe v heat mat

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    not sure if I should go for heat mat or electric propagator, anyone any ideas please?

2. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you use a heat mat only the plants don't have any protection from the cold ambient temp. of the greenhouse. So very much depends on the type of plants you wish to grow. Most plants will germinate, but once above the soil, some plants can't take the cold. I am assuming that you are not heating the g/h, hence the heated propagator. Also the moisture will not be retained.

If you want a large area, it may be worth considering soil warming cables, as I have, and laying them in a sand box. This is ok if you can set a common temp. for all plants. If not then the extra expense of individual electric propagators may be worth it.

Just my views, and hope that maybe useful, but so much depends on how many plants and what type they are. ;)

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I'd go for a propagator, for like DAG says it gives more protection than just a heat mat. I've just (yesterday) finished this one. It has 20 feet heating cable and is fairly tall which will mean I can grow on plants for a while before I have to start heating the GH. What I'm also thinking about is making a hooped hood so that I can drape bubble wrap over it and thus get even more height if I need it.
    I would really have liked to make it about twice the size, but it would have encroached too much on the space where I have my potting bench.
    Wood and polycarbonate cost less than �£20, heating cable �£20, and the thermostatic control �£50.
    A nice project for Mr Waco when he's finished the GH :D ;)

[​IMG]

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks boys! you both seem to have confirmed what I was thinking.

Dave Mr Waco has just been looking at your wonderful propagator and commented that is looks like our puppy welp box which is made of poly carb and complete with under heat pads - now there is a thought, a second use for something that is only used for 8 weeks every two years or so.

Some of the green house lights also look like my old electric mother hen, but not sure if I still have that.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I like the heat mats for providing bottom heat, which is all that a lot of seeds need, and they're versatile. I often put trays with the covers on them too, and big trays in plastic bags, so it's constantly changing. It copes with the different sizes of things I want to use......

I do use propagators too, and have two of the big 7s, which are great. I have one on my window ledge, and one in the greenhouse.

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Like Dendy got both the advantage of the heat mat is you can get more on it if you build a structure around it the heat is held in the area, propagators are ideal for starting stuff off but what do you do after the seeds sprout they get drawn if you leave them in

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks all, I like the flexibility of mats idea and after seeing Dave's construction, I could always put the mat in the welp box for similar effect.

8. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I like dave's idea excellant. I may have a go at this I am quite good with wood work :D not just a pretty face now my greenhouse is wrecked .

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    If you want a list/drawing of sizes Fancy drop me a PM.
    One thing to bear in mind is to put the polycarbonate or perspex on the INSIDE sides of the top frame as this way it helps keep the wood on the frame drier.

10. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    now thats strange Dave,
    my brother has done just that.he gets the polycarbonate sheets with the raw materials delivered to his factory and most times it goes in the bin.we made the frame out of wooden pallets that would also be binned.you could see it on one of my allotment pics.
    I am thinking of making a long seat with the pallets for us to lounge on the allotment.
    You know what they say Dave, graet mind s think alike :D strange but true.

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just had a look at the allotment. That's quite a project you've taken on and it looks like you're making a pretty good job of it too.

Now if you take those free pallets and get hold of four half length scaffold poles and a couple of clamps you could make a swinging seat down in the allotment :D

12. boygardener

boygardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I think you should go for the electric propagator,if you get the mat all the heat is just going every were.That means the plants wont get the full amount of heat.

kind regards boygardener

(danceing all night long [​IMG] is what i do)

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    If you put unheated propagators on them, or pots with bell tops, or trays with lids or poly bags, and they're so close together you couldn't fit on the tiniest individual cell - (as I do) then you won't be wasting heat, and the plants are getting the bottom heat they need to grow.

14. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    I,m with the mats,less restrictions,much more flexible and adaptable.

15. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I am going to go for two medium mats rather than one large on and perhaps a small propergator too - its just getting round to buying them now!