Electric Strimmers, Mowers and Cultivators

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Larkshall, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    As I am nearing 80 (next March), I am looking to change from a petrol driven mower and cultivator, to an electrical mower and cultivator.

I had a Bosch Combistrimmer which packed up yesterday, I spent a fair time and about 16 miles driving to try to get it repaired. It can't be repaired, so I decided that I was not going to buy quality tools at quality prices again. A new Bosch would be around £30-40, so I got a cheap one £20 from B&Q (although the line is thinner, 1.6mm against 2.0mm), it compares favourably with the Bosch.

I have a petrol engined Mountfield Empress 16" mower which I have used for the last 30 years, but it is too heavy to manhandle in and out of the shed these days. While at B&Q I also bought a cheap electric mower £40. While it cuts a narrower swath it does the job as well as the Mountfield. I also have a 4hp petrol engined Rotavator which I cannot manhandle. I am now looking to get an electric cultivator, the one which appeals to me is the Mantis electric. It only tills 9" wide but gets down to 10" deep (the petrol engined one tills 24" wide x 11" deep).

I have heavy clay land and will be cultivating in beds 1 metre wide with 300mm path between. I like the Mantis idea of working backwards (not treading on the tilled soil).

Has anyone any experience of the Mantis electric Rotavator?.

2. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    No one has come back with any information about the tiller.

So I ordered it on Monday and it was delivered today, I watched the makers video and then assembled it. It appears to be well made. I started using it on a bed which I had dug Monday and it broke the clods down very well. The idea of pulling the Mantis Tiller is good as there is no need to tread on the tilth as you do with a normal Rotavator. I did try to use it on compacted clay but it is not worth the effort. I dug the bed to a full spade depth then used the tiller, this way it does a very good job. I have a 50metre and a 25metre cable drum so I am able to reach all my garden from various power points. When the tines get clogged with weed roots it is very easy to pull out the "R" pin, slide the tine rotor off and clean it, this is much easier than the petrol engined Rotavator. I am well satisfied with the Mantis Electric Tiller.

[​IMG] - [​IMG] - [​IMG] - [​IMG] - [​IMG] - [​IMG] - [​IMG]

3. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Glad your happy with it an i hope i can still do my garden at your age :D

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The petrol mantis is certainly an excellent machine, IMO better at getting a tilth than the heavy driven via the rotors petrols.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Interesting about the Mantis, thanks for the heads-up. I've seen their ads and been thinking that would be a good tool in my shrubbery, just planted, where 90% of the bed will be bare earth for the next year or two.

6. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I kept myself fit by re-joining my old cycling club (The Cyclists' Touring Club) 11 years ago. I organised a Pensioners Lunch Run on Tuesdays when we cycle to local pubs. (about 10 to 15 miles) have lunch then ride home again. I also go out with them on Sunday afternoons to tea at a pub and home again. I had a replacement hip in 1999.

7. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    May you have many more years of happy gardening to :D an dont wear that hip out ;)

8. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    That's what my surgeon (Mr Graham Keene) said but I explained to him that you actually wear it less cycling than walking as you don't have your weight on it. Before the operation I mistakenly joined the All day ride on a Sunday, finished up doing 86 miles. About the same time, I went for a walk with a gamekeeper friend, did 1.5 miles (it was on his beat) and was hardly able to get back to his house.

When Mr Keene measured me up before the operation, he said my left leg was 10mm shorter than the right. I thought for a minute then said "when you saw it off, leave 10mm on". He said "That's what I am going to do", we got on very well after that.

I made a very rapid recovery from the operation as I was home on the fourth day after the operation. I started cycling again 25 days after, but wasn't allowed to drive for seven weeks.

Anyone with the prospect of having a replacement, Don't worry about it, it's less stressful than having a tooth out.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    My FIL is in his early 70's and had a hip replacement a while ago (having worn his out with excessive Squash playing I expect!). He still skis :)