1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Er- what is this?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by fuchsialady, Apr 24, 2017.

1. fuchsialady

fuchsialady Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    I found this growing madly in a corner of my garden. I'm assuming it's a weed of some description as I don't recall planting anything. It looks vaguely familiar but I have no name for it. I'm hoping someone can help me. At the moment it's staying put as the bees seem to quite like it- and they need all the help they can get!
    Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Comfrey.

The top growth can be cut and immersed in water to make liquid feed (bit it can get a bit smelly). It will self seed and spread everywhere unless removed or you keep removing the flowers. There will be a huge clump of roots underneath.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    It will spread by roots as well not particularly friendly in the garden unless you are going to make a liquid feed from the leaves, if you are do it well away from the house as it really stinks.!!

4. fuchsialady

fuchsialady Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for those replies. I hadn't seen comfrey before but have heard about its smelly properties! I think it will be destined for removal!

• Agree Agree x 1