EREMURUS - FOX TAIL LILIES [ASPHODELACEAE]

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Feb 28, 2017.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    [​IMG]

I tried growing Fox Tail Lilies in the garden a decade or so.....and failed miserably.:dunno::doh: But for some reason I have decided to have a project of growing them and seeing how successful I am. They're classified as "Difficult" as they originate from the dry grasslands and semi-desert of Western and central Asia so they like fast draining soil, and Sun. While I can't do anything about the amount of Sun we get this year I can do something about the soil.
    So, after doing some research, I tried a combination of the slightly differing methods of the Experts. That meant after buying around 15 bare roots of different varieties and buying several bags of grit and sand.
    [​IMG]

So I decide the best method was to dig a hole about 8 inches across by about 6 inches deep, fill it to around three quarters of the depth with agricultural grit [to get that fast draining] place a single spider like bare root on top and then cover it with a mixture of grit, compost, and sharp sand to the level of the soil. The advised time to plant them is Autumn but it wasn't until a month or so ago that I decided to try growing them so they do say that planting in Spring will have no harmful effects. So I've planted them in the Walk Around Border where there is less competition and more space, and it's going to be interesting to see how, and if, they grow.
    Has anyone had success in growing Fox Tail Lilies in an ordinary UK garden??:scratch::snorky:

• Like Like x 6
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I grew one years ago when we had a garden and did ok with it :)

The one thing you haven't mentioned is if you built up a little mound to rest the crown on and then let the roots dangle down, as the crown is supposed to be a couple of inches higher than the roots.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        You're right, Anthony. What I did was to make a crown on the grit and then place the bare root on top. I watched several videos and read a few articles on planting them and they all differed on exactly how to do it. Some stressed placing the root on a mound and then covering it up, some in the videos just dug a shallow hole, put some grit and compost in, then the root followed by a covering of soil.
        The person I took the most note of was a German Botanist who really knew her stuff and has been growing them commercially for years. The thing is, Anthony, I don't just want to grow them for one or two seasons but I want to see if I can get them to establish properly in the sites I picked for them:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 4
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +15,328
          My Dad grew them to perfection on Kettering loam:)
          Bless him, he 'grew' all sorts of bizarre things without ever having chosen or planted them.
          He called halt, though, when a cannabis plant grew to 8' near the bird table, thanks to stray bird seed :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,386
            I thought they grown from bulbs but they almost like asparagus crowns :)
            Good luck Armandii,cant wait to see your photos :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • noisette47

Ratings:
              +15,328
              Spot on joolz! If they're planted like asparagus, they should thrive. How's yours by the way?:)

• Like Like x 2
              • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,386
                Hi noisette,im guilty of not been to allotment yet so i have no idea,they were darrans project,he did the digging and banking,i will try and pop up on saturday weather permitting.
                iIve always thought foxtail lilies were a bit expensive,now realising they are crowns the price must reflect the size of the crowns :) x

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • noisette47

Ratings:
                  +15,328
                  Fairy 'nuff....you do the cutting and cooking;) I think Parkers Bulbs are probably the cheapest option for Eremurus, but it's pot luck if you get what you think you're ordering....:biggrin:
                  Got quite a surprise the other day when I spotted two huge 'buds' pushing up in the border. I didn't mark them, so had forgotten all about them. They're either himalaicus or robustus and nowhere near as pampered as ARMANDII'S! Good luck from me too, @ARMANDII. They certainly should do well with all that drainage!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,838
                    I've used Parkers and also Garthwaites. Both are good with Garthwaites being more expensive but much bigger roots. Parkers roots were great but smaller [I've just received 9 Cleopatra variety Foxtail lilies from them] and they can take up to 28 days to get to you while Garthwaites are with you within usually a week.:coffee::snorky:

• Informative Informative x 1