Escalonia cuttings.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rustyroots, Feb 21, 2013.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

When is the best time to take cuttings from my escalonia? I have a hedge at the bottom of the garden and it has a few gaps that I would like to plug by taking cuttings of the original hedge.

Rusty

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +54,115
    Escallonia will burst into life over the next few weeks, so early cuttings from the soft new growth will be ideal. Although they root fairly easily they take a while to get going. I took cuttings three years ago and they are now about 2 1/2 feet high. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
      Ratings:
      +2,369
      I wonder if flowering is a hinderance to cuttings? Escallonias flower all year around, and some plants won't root with flowering cuttings (not sure if that's the case though)..

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +54,115
      No, it doesn't make any difference Stephen, Escallonia is tough. When I take cuttings I strip off any flowers and the lower leaves. I have an 80ft long hedge and rarely see it in bloom as it's trimmed three times a year.

• Informative Informative x 1