espalier apple trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Daisies, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I have plans to put in two or three espalier apple trees at the bottom of my garden, to the right of the path and behind the veg patch.

[​IMG]

Has anyone any experience with espaliers - any pros and cons?
    e.g. there is only a ground strip about 2ft wide from fence to concrete footpath - will this be enough?
    Also, I've noticed that this lower portion of the garden always retains the snow a lot longer than elsewhere so it must be a frost well. Will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I would give it a go Michaelmasdaisy, nothing nicer than picking your own apples. I would think the roots will eventually end up helping themselves to your veg patch nutrients. Check out the pollination requirements. I find that plum trees suffer with late frosts not so much apples. I have still got some apples in storage from last autumn had some with the pork on sunday.

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    If it is a cold spot, then choose later flowering varieties. Pears are more susceptible to cold too, so go for apples.

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have 2 apples and a pear in a similar place but these are the dwarf patio type (I have them bedded out) that forms spurs off the single main stem, this is the second year so hoping they might fruit this year

I had a pear espalier at my previous house which fruited very well, the only trouble was the need for regular pruning and tieing in to maintain the shape