1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Establishing a box hedge

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by kriss, May 24, 2018.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    D8F0D67F-9654-4852-A2F8-8BB4069F4CF8.jpeg Last spring I planted buxus at about 15-20cm centres to form a traditional hedge around my borders.

Year 1 saw little growth which is understandable. This month however imidst the warm weather the little plants have taken on a lot of new growth.

Will pruning monthly encourage even more growth? (I pruned a few weeks ago.) I notice a lot of online articles just mention may and August.

Any tips to getting the hedge to knit together quicker? I used a buxus feed a few weeks ago which I feel worked a treat!

• Like Like x 1
    • Guesty

Guesty Gardener

Ratings:
      +191
      Hi Kriss,

Leave them grow for now rather than trim. Trimming will halt the growth straight away.

Get some nice plant food for them and they will move along quickly.

It can take up to 5 years to get a nice box hedge.

Thanks

• Guesty

Guesty Gardener

Ratings:
      +191
      One more tip, I added bark around the base of my plants to keep the moisture in the soil. Will send you a pic tomorrow. It has really helped this year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,090
        With box blight a real threat now i wouldnt prune till end of the year or do it when the weather forecasters are predicting a very long dry spell.

I water from below,prune late on,use a homemade spray to prevent new blight attacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
          +79
          Thanks! I’ve been giving them a good soak every 2nd or 3rd night, you you say avoid the plants and aim for the ground? Is that true of most of my garden? No need to get the leaves wet?

• Agree Agree x 1