Eucalyptus, powers of recovery?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by hailbopp, Sep 22, 2024 at 4:48 PM.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +879
    Last October I lost a huge Silver Birch in gales coming from an unusual direction to the norm.:cry3:She was very old but lovely.
    05B6FDCF-72E6-408F-ADAA-B249BF4A68EC.jpeg
    She snapped about halfway down her trunk and the top half crashed into a substantial Eucalyptus behind her, taking virtually all of the branches of the Eucalyptus with it!
    What a mess.
    B00990BF-BB48-49D8-A4EA-E0D4F668F948.jpeg 76C593A5-6E5A-4EC4-A776-ED8BD78ACD66.jpeg 7DDE7D20-B94E-4271-8929-AEBFA4467854.jpeg
    Anyway, once the remainder of the Silver Birch and Eucalyptus were felled I then set to with help from my daughter to clear up the mess.
    The Eucalyptus was cut down to about 2 ft off the ground as I had thought of making a seat out of the stump.Now scrapped that idea and so decided to cut the stump further down. Went out with the chainsaw only to discover….see below.
    EDC5D64E-4BE1-41E8-A2B2-A55CD2F0CF2E.jpeg
    Surprisingly the Eucalyptus was very happy here until last October :rolleyespink:. It is about 25 years old and survived going down to about -18oc in the dreadful winter of 2010/11.
    I am inclined to see if the stump will produce more shoots. Does anybody know if it might? I think I should wait until next spring to cut the stump down to where the shoot is so as not to have a fresh wound over winter. If it is only going to produce one shoot then, hmm, maybe the whole thing should be for the chop. The stump is substantial, the green thing on top of the stump is a pair of secateurs!
    At least one good thing came out of all of this, plenty of wood for my wood burning stoves!

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,187
      I think they grow something called a lignotuber, kind of underground bulge where new shoots can come from after fire.
      I'd leave it to its own devises and see how it gets on, of course a hard winter could kill those new shoots and it could be the end, on the other hand, a mild winter and you have your tree back.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
        +879
        Thanks @pete. I have grown Eucalyptus in another garden many years ago and the pair bought it in a very cold winter about 1989. They did make a vague effort to recover but never really did. I would like to save what I can as the Silver Birch is a goner so have the space for another substantial tree. I did think the new growth could struggle if we have a meggamazoma winter! I wondered if rigging up a wigwam of a couple of layers of fleece over the top might be a good idea or make matters worse?

• Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +15,361
          I'd have expected it to bounce back. I chain-sawed my UK tree down to the ground and it survived that. If you don't thin out the shoots, they practise a sort of natural selection so some die off and the strongest ones go on to form new stems. How accessible is it in winter? I'd just fabricate a teepee now or find a big enough bucket (those pop-up garden waste bags are good too), keep an eye on the forecast and cover it if the weather gets really nasty.

• Like Like x 1
          • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
            +387
            Eucalyptus respond well to coppicing, normally done in February/March time, so it isn't surprising to see it return from the dead. The only thing I'd be worried about is that it is young fresh growth which might be cut back by a really cold frost and I'd consider just fleecing it if the weather is very very cold, if not I would leave it open to the air and I'm sure it will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1