EUONYMUS fortunei 'Silver Queen as hedge

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Noushynoo, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Noushynoo

Noushynoo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Has anyone got photos of a hedge of Euonymus fortunei 'silver queen'? Been googling it but none of a hedge.

I've taken ownership of a communal garden for my block of flats, and we need to consider a replacement hedge running down the stairs.

Residents previously planted lavender as a hedge. It's never really flowered properly. It's now woody, and has never been bushy at all. It looks totally awful. They want it replaced with lavender again as they like lavender. I've tried to explain that there are other options and one needs to consider the sites aspect first.

It's clay soil, bottom of a clay bank, although south facing it's in very heavy shade from April onwards as it's under a large chestnut and pine tree.

The criteria is it has to be evergreen, dense, easy to maintain, and cheerful. I planted two Euonymus fortunei 'silver queen' last year on the same banks and they are doing so well, so thought this would be a good option.

1) I just need to find a good photo of one as a hedge. Anyone got one?
    2) they grow to 2 meters, does anyone keep theirs lower at 1 meter?

Thanks

Anoushka

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

You can easily clip this to any height or balls !!

[​IMG]

3. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,740
    Best I can offer you is this photo from my front garden Anoushka.

[​IMG]

This is a mixture of two different types of Euonymus; 'Emerald Gaiety' and 'Emerald n Gold', planted in a narrow bed next to a low, north facing wall.

They only need a light prune once or twice a year to keep them in good shape, although it would be easy enough to trim them more often to achieve a more formal 'hedge' shape.

• Like Like x 1
    • Noushynoo

Ratings:
      +3
      Stunning combo.

That's emerald gaiety, that is low growing. I presume silver queen will be similar!

Anoushka

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,812
      Is this any good to you?

We've grown this one on a trellis as we've used it as a divider, but it gives you an idea of how it can look. It gets covered in small white flowers in late spring/early summer which the bees adore. It's ready for its annual shaping - photo just taken now.
      P1190992.JPG

P1190994.JPG

P1190993.JPG

The gold version we now use as a shrub and I cut them with my hedge cutter.
      P1190991.JPG

• Like Like x 1
      • Noushynoo

Ratings:
        +3
        I think emerald gaiety is more low growing, silver queen is possibly more adaptable as it can be shaped in to a hedge, as a low growing ground cover, or even up a wall.

Stunning photos.

What do you prune it with, sheers? If you cut into old wood does it grow back happily?

Another option for the hedge could be the Euonymus fortunei Kathy.

Yesterday I planted a harlequin (in a different spot, for a different purpose) with bonemeal, and this morning it looks like something's tried to dig it up. Must be the foxes smelling the bonemeal.

Earlier this year something was digging up my bulbs!