Euphorbia martini query

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by JBat, May 20, 2024.

1. JBat

JBat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello

I planted three Euphorbia martinii last year. They've flowered this year. Two of them have new shoots coming through. One of them doesn't and hasn't grown anything like the other two.
    I would usually cut back the flowering stems when they're spent leaving the new growth.

I'm not sure what to do with the one with no new shoots. Im assuming it's unhappy. Is it likely to grow any new shoots or is the whole plant giving up? It is quite close to a wall so maybe not getting enough space.

I did water through last summer but no watering this year. It's been very wet and it's meant to be a no watering garden. But perhaps it's not getting enough of something.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome! Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    It looks fine to me as it has flowered well. I’d just give it time and see if new shoots appear once the flowers start to fade. Often plants of the same type and age don’t all behave in the same way at the same time. I have one in a similar position which I don’t water and is full of flowers. I wait until the flowers have gone very brown and dry before cutting them down as I like the look of them, giving the plant an opportunity to self seed and produce more plants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,482
      The other reason might just be it's proximity to the wall, which can often be a drier spot if the wall isn't directly in the path of the prevailing weather. That may have prevented it establishing as well as the others if they're in a more open site, as it may not have had the amount of moisture.
      I've often grown them against walls, but rain isn't a problem here for that kind of site, and it can just be enough to make the difference. In other parts that don't get the direct rainfall, the ground doesn't dry out too much, so again, that makes it easier.
      The underlying soil can sometimes be poor next to walls too, so that's also a reason for plants being a bit slower in that sort of site. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,965
        You could try moving it after it has finished flowering to see if this makes any difference @JBat. Once established, Euphorbias cope well with dry, nutrient poor soil in my garden. I recently moved one that was losing its lower leaves a lot in an open, well watered bed to a position on my sloping bank which is drier and well draining. It now looks much better. Most Euphorbias, including your variety, prefer a sunny location. The amount of sun they receive will therefore influence flower and new shoot production.

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: May 21, 2024
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,352
          Looks fine to me also ... once it has flowered I cut all the flowering stems back to ground level wearing gloves as the sap can be a irritant then wont be long before you have fresh growth

I do have a self sown seedling which grows in permanent shade and it flowers but not many ... but its in a well drained spot
          easy to take cutting as well
          Spruce

• Like Like x 1
          • JBat

JBat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +4
            Thanks everyone! I won't give up on it!
            That white flower crab spider, which you can just about see on the photo at the top, has been occupying this plant for weeks now. It's been fun!

• Like Like x 2