Evergreen moss kill again or move on?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by tdubya, May 11, 2018.

1. tdubya

tdubya Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    A couple or weeks ago I treated my 200 Sq m lawn with Evergreen with successful results.. sort of... I raked up the dead moss last weekend only to find numerous patches of more still left. Should I consider a re-treatment with Evergreen before I treat with 2in1 lawn thickener mix with seeds and fertiliser? Or not?

Any thoughts welcome.

Terry

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I'f you've any left, I'd just treat the affected patches, I've recently done something similar. The surrounding grass will go a darker green for a bit but it'll recover. You might even have to do it a third time in a couple of weeks.

3. tdubya

tdubya Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you Riley, sounds like a plan. Do that first then apply the seed fertiliser mix in a couple of weeks?

4. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Better of applying a liquid iron than applying a fertiliser.
    You will get instant response from the moss and be able to rake it out.
    In saying that why don’t you just rake the moss out then if need be seed. That way you keep the appearance and it speeds up time so your lawn looks better in a shorter time span.
    Iron or fe is used to toughen up the turf plant, it has the ability to make the grass a deeper green and deters moss. Weed and feeds only have a low percentage of fe and so the results on moss are not as good as an all liquid or granular fe treatment.

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Once I've given mine "the original treatment," I give it a shot of this every few weeks. In stronger doses it will also treat any reappearing moss.

s-l1600.jpg

6. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    You really don’t need to apply every few weeks, have you checked your soil Ph levels?
    If you are finding the effect on the plant is short you will find you have a high Ph level as above 7 Fe is short lived in the plant. Moss normally likes low Ph levels but will also grow in high levels but to be applying Fe so often means there’s an issue.