Everygreen Azaleas turning brown/red

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Lpeek, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Lpeek

Lpeek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Morning all!

I have two apparently everygreen azaleas. But as the weather has turned colder and wetter they’re both turning brown/red. Almost as id expect from a deciduous plant before they drop their leaves.

The drainage in these planters is pretty bad, and the soil doesn’t go down nearly as far as you’d expect given their size. When planting I did try drill more drainage but I suspect that could be the issue and this could be some kind of root rot?. But since I’ve very little experience of “evergreen azaleas” before I thought I’d ask here in case the leaves changing colours is normal.

thanks!

IMG_1220.jpeg IMG_1221.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,040
      Are you sure they are ever green ones.
      The container looks big enough but what depth of soil do they have.

You will need good drainage with all the recent rain we have been getting.

• Lpeek

Ratings:
      +10
      hey Pete, where I bought them from claimed they were evergreen, but I honestly can’t be sure.

Soil depth, not as deep as the container looks. About half of the actual height of the container. About 15-20cm. But they are quite wide and I think Azaleas roots spread well in a low depth container don’t they?

i feel like it must be the drainage. Maybe I didn’t drill enough holes before planting.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,040
        I tend to think if it was drainage the leaves would go limp and just turn brown.
        The fact they are turning red looks like just Autumn colouring up, to me, and they could be deciduous.

Might be a good idea to think about moving them into deeper containers early next year.

The chippings look nice, but just wondering if they are some kind of limestone which wouldn't be good for azaleas being that they are acid loving plants.

• Lpeek

Ratings:
        +10
        I tend to agree looking at them again this morning, the photos above were about a week ago, the attached is this morning and they’re much more vibrant red. Definitely doesn’t look like problematic colouring. Let’s hope.

That’s also a very good point about the chippings. That’s something I’d not even considered. They’re “Italian Rose” though I can’t find any information from anyone selling them now whether that’s a kind of limestone or not.

IMG_1262.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,040
          I think it might be marble if Italian.
          as far as I know Marble is altered limestone, but not well up on rocks, I tend to think a bark mulch always looks nice with Rhodos and Azealia's, more of a woodland feel. :smile:

• suepp

suepp Gardener

retired, then self employed
          Ratings:
          +34
          It's quite normal for many of them to change to that colouring.
          Azaleas like plenty of rainwater but also need good drainage. The soil doesn't have to be terribly acidic, but it needs to be soil not compost if they're staying in a pot. They dont' have very deep roots though.
          I'd move the gravel. Bark is better, although a gravel that isn't limestone is ok