Eye Laser Surgery

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Victoria, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    I'm contemplating having eye laser surgery to correct an astigmatism I've had since day dot.

Has anyone had this done and, if so, any comments?

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a friend that had it done at least a couple of years ago and his vision is now perfect.

One of our friends is an opthalmic consultant, he does not do the lazer treatment, but is considering doing so as he is so impressed with it. I don't think it is suitable for everyone, my friend was just a bit short sighted, so it was apparently a simple job, and he must have saved a fortune on glasses!

she was only an opticians daughter, but after two glasses she made a spectacle of herself............Thats me!

3. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Waco! :D There are the clinics here but also t'other half has a light problem with his eyes and has seen an eye opthamalic consultant (glaucoma ruled out fortunately). He does it as well but have to ask him his price. It's here in Euros what it is there in Sterling so 40% cheaper.

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Lol,
    two of my elderly relatives had laser treatment in their eyes (although not in the uk) and for both of them no complaints at all and both pleased. On an old person of course it takes longer to recover (for a little while it is possible that you cannot see), but for your age, I think it should be a matter of a few days to go back to normal.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I can see why you might want to do it, LoL - but IMO, it's cosmetic surgery, and I wouldn't do it. You could probably say it's really no different to dental surgery and orthodontic work in particular, but I couldn't have it done myself. Mr D has had laser treatment on both eyes, but that was for glaucoma, and it didn't work.......

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm with Dendy on this one. All surgery including laser treatment has its risks - and unless the clinical need is greater than the risk, then I would leave well alone. If you've had astigmatism since the year dot - then doesn't sound like it is needed.

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Thanks for all your thoughts on this. I only put glasses on for painting and the computer, funnily enough not for reading unless the light is very poor as my eyesight has improved with age. Just thought I'd eleminate the need for them at all.

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Have you tried looking for a forum on the web? There's this one but I haven't read it. You can get a lot of arguement for and against in a forum - can't you!!!

9. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cheap prescription glasses at www.glassesdirect.co.uk

I use them and at �£15 per pair, I have a pair for the house, for the car, for work etc.

Hell of a lot cheaper than opticians and laser treatment. :cool:

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Thanks MMD. Hi, badsal72, haven't seen you for a while .... thing to do with specs, by the way! T'other half on wears the cheap things and I've got a few pairs for emergencies.

The problem isn't the cost ... well, it is because I think it's atrocious what they charge for prescription glasses and have done so for years! It's just the fact of not have the problem any more.

If I renew my British driver's license that's a while off. If I get one here, that's next year and I don't want to wear glasses, which I don't for driving but have a problem with registrations far off. Then again, I don't know what they require here so may check on that ....

Thanks for that link, though ...