Faith in human nature .. restored

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fidgetsmum, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    When my daughter inherited her great-grandmother's engagement ring, it wasn't at all the sort of thing she'd have worn so she put it away for a few years. Recently, she decided to have the two largest diamonds removed from the ring and made into earrings, whilst the rest of the stones she's had made into a pendant. Because she works in London, she took it to a London jeweller (who charged an eye-watering amount for this work) but, because she's working away from home for several months, opted to have the finished pieces sent here knowing Mum would be in to sign for the package.

Fine so far.

Fast forward several weeks and last Friday I get an email to say the work is completed and the package has been dispatched. I didn't expect it to arrive Saturday and wasn't totally surprised when it didn't arrive yesterday morning either.

However ...... about 9.30 last evening there's a ring at the door and a young woman of about 30ish holding a package. To cut a long story short, the address label on the package has been all but torn off and the 'postie' has made a guesstimate of the address, but he's got it wrong. Now, to compound the issue, the box is clearly marked where it's from (a jewellers) and during the conversation I discover it is this young lady's birthday and so, thinking someone has sent her a very nice gift thank you very much, has opened it. Her husband denies all knowledge, it's not from her parents or her in-laws and by a process of elimination she realises it's not for her. So what does she do? She 'phones the jewellers, finds out where it should have been delivered, waits for her husband to get home to look after the children then hires a taxi to bring it the 9 miles to the correct address.

Eventually I persuade her to let me pay for her taxi but she's reluctant and true, the item was insured, but a replacement would only have been 'an object' without the sentimental value.

She could so easily have kept these items that, for once, I'm rendered speechless and my faith in human is restored. Bless her.

• Like Like x 10
    • Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
      +1,019
      What a nice story. :)
      I like to think the majority of people are like that, it's just the nasty ones that make the news.

• Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
      Ratings:
      +1,668
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,341
      Thanks for that post, well done that young lady deserves a medal, or a meal

Jack McH

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,886
      Lovely story Fidgetsmum. But surely being such a valuable package they should have sent it by recorded post. :scratch:

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +865
      It was sent by recorded delivery, but being her birthday she was kind of expecting to receive at least one package so happily signed for it. The Post Office delivered it to 'an' address and got 'a' signature, so far as they were concerned - job done.