Faithful Friend needs to be moved...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by tdubya, Sep 21, 2009.

1. tdubya

tdubya Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    We have a Peter Beales 'Faithful Friend' rose which needs to be relocated after just one year after being in the soil because of some hard landscaping works that are about to start tomorrow.

The last set of flowers are in bloom at the moment. I have a large pot ready for it as well as compost. Does anyone have any advice on how I should set about removing it from the ground please ?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Tdubya ,Faithful Friend ,Yes a lovely Shrub Rose ,I believe It is called that Because of its connection with the hearing Dogs for Deaf People:) This is the way I would move this Rose if I had no other choice :dh:.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always bearing in mind that the best Time to move a Rose Is when It is Dormant I cannot stress this to strongly ,But having said that I have moved roses at all times of the year and have,nt lost any yet:)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drive your spade down vertically to its full length of blade about twelve or fifteen inches from the bush and repeating the process in a circular form until all lateral roots have been cut.
    Dig a sloping hole leading to the vertical spade-cuts on one
    side, remove some of the surface soil round the bush to
    reduce weight, drive the spade under the plant, and gently
    lift it in a ball of earth. The ball can be made more
    adherent by wetting and dabbing the outside of it. Slide it
    into its new hole or large Container by way of another sloping cut, ,fill the spaces round the ball with friable soil and water it heavily. The bush must be pruned and all leaves carefully
    clipped off to reduce loss of moisture and consequent shrivelling. Hope this of some help to you:)

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

3. tdubya

tdubya Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Owl

Do I cut all the leaves and remaining flowers off ? What about the remaining stem ? Is that cut down as well to a shorter height or left at the 3' height it is at the moment ?

4. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
  5. tdubya

tdubya Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Owl again.:gnthb:

I've accomplished that mission. The rose is now in a large tub, well watered and in the shade of a hedge. Is there anything I should be doing with it during the winter to protect the plant or could I replant it at the beginning of October perhaps ?

6. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Tdubya you are most welcome,The sooner you can replant it the better it will be for the Rose, John Inns No3 is best In the tub if its staying there for any length of time,It will let it settle in before the this years bad winter:thumb::)

7. tdubya

tdubya Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The rose bush is doing well having been re-planted last September. No flowers yet, but the growth is looking good for it. Thanks again.

8. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Tdubya thats great news thanks for letting us know:)