fao banana man re madflowers bamboo

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by madflower, Aug 27, 2006.

1. madflower

madflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the info on the bamboo Banana Man, much appreciated, i've got my eye on the one with the black cane, do you know the one i mean? ( sorry i'm not very good at the latin names). However, :D in the meantime i've gone completely mad (again) and bought a Eucalyptus tree tasmanian snow tree, i couldn't resist it, and i've always liked all things australian :D , also bought a contorted hazel tree, mad looking , so any advice on planting these up warmly welcome. Thanks again Banana Man for the advice ;)

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    re the contorted hazel - just remember 1) remove the straight shoots when they appear - that's reversion and will take over and you won't get twisty bits in the end, and 2) thin out regularly so it doesn't get too dense, and harbour disease.

4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you are lucky enough to get it to grow that fast. I have one and 15 years later I can't even prune it for indoor decoration. It is a miserable thing :(

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'll try to find a photo of the 14 year old we left behind in Hemel last year - it was a beauty! :D

6. dixy

dixy Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    hi there madflower. I bought a small eucalyptus tree last year and planted itin the garden. It's now been cut back twice and is on the way up again! May I suggest, if it's possible, (and maybe one of the more experienced among us will confirm)that you keep it in a pot?

7. madflower

madflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou Dixy, Dendro and Jazid, with respect to the Eucalyptus and Hazel contorta, I've bought westland compost with ji no.3, does this sound about right for potting in large pots ( about 1ftandhalf in diameter)? I also have some bonemeal should i add this when potting up? :confused: , will i need to stake them?. Sorry for all the mundane questions but I've got no-one to advise me only u guys [​IMG] , i really should stop buying plants before i even know a thing about them. But some plants are just irresistable [​IMG] ., i know you all must know what i mean [​IMG] .many thanks