Fat Stains

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Slinky, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I need some advice last night had a BBQ and managed to get Fat on my Garden Patio slabs,I,ve tried cleaning with Hot soapy water and Jeyes Fluid but the stains are still present.

Does anybody know how to remove this problem???

My apologies if in wrong section:o

2. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Try cilit bang it seems to remove most things or try an ice cube sounds strange i know but i'm sure i've seen it done

3. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Or try washing powder. It used to remove the oil stains off my pale coloured sink

4. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Put brown paper over it then iron over the stain ...oops sorry thats for clothing :o
    Ok either a detergent such as washing power mixed to a paste wit water leave on for 3o mins then hose off. You might fine it leaves a white patch tho :o Or clay kitty litter, Tread it in, leave on the stain for a few hours it allegedly soaks up the oil.

5. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would try a drop of neat washing up liquid. Scrub it on over the stain with a stiff brush, leave it ten minutes, and wash it off.

Let us know which method works

6. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Slinky
    My patio is natural stone, I find a strong mix of detergent - washing up liquid and very hot water works. I had a problem with rust stains on my patio and I found a wire brush cleaned it up easily. Another cleaner is sugar soap ( from B n Q etc. used to clean paintwork ) use this neat on your stain and then brush and rinse. Try this on an out of the way section first in case it discolours the slab.
    Hope this helps :thumb:

7. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Forget washing powders and the so-called do it all cleaners, I was a decorating contractor and had to re-decorate a Chinese take-away kitchen on one occasion. There were layers of congealed oil on surfaces. These were scraped off and then it was scrubbed with Polyclens Paint Brush Cleaner and then washed off with water. I have used it many times since then, especially on clothing which had become stained with grease or oil.

8. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup. Have the BBQ somewhere else.:D

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Wow all the cleaning tips, from fellas as well!

Little miss is right, washing powder mixed with a little water in to a paste wipe it over leave it for a couple of hours at least and it will come off. Dishwasher powder or liquid does the exact same thing.

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Sugar soap solution and a scrubbing brush, either that or the pollyclens brush cleaner larkshall recomends, both work well.

11. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Paul m8:thumb:

Hopefully will work so far not so good[thanks anyway peeps]

12. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Mh, I dropped a dish of sushi on my neighbour new trousers once at a party(you just canĀ“t bring me into society) talcum powder did the trick, and he did it in time to his next date without going home to change... may be it works for stone too?

13. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I hope you didn't rub it in for him;):rolleyes::D

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    There are rumours that Coca Cola will do the job :eek:.

When we had the builders in they used some liquid that they got from the builders merchants to remove dried up cement from bricks and paving so maybe it will work on grease. It is called Cementone Brick and Patio Cleaner :thumb:

15. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    Slinky, I did the self same thing! I'm going to let mine weather off as the spillage isn't too bad. Hope you get yours all cleaned up:)